Have 2 Play1's - should I get a sub or a Play5?

• 28 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi there -

Moving to a new home which has a big open living room/kitchen with vaulted ceilings. I currently have 2 Play1's in my small home but want to give the system a bit of an upgrade now that i'll have more space. Would you recommend adding a sub paired with the play 1's or add a play 5 with the two 1's?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I wouldn't go with either really. I don't think adding a sub to the play:1s would really help fill the room. It's great for more bass, but that's not really what you're looking for right now.

I'm personally not a fan of getting a single speaker like that. If it's within your budget, then look at get a pair of play:5s and move your play:1s to a different room. You could try out a single play:5 and add a second later on when the budget allows.

If you have your tv in the living room, you may also want to look one of the soundbars. You can use your play:1s as surround for tv watching and full stereo for music.
Badge
I have a similar setup - vaulted ceilings with TV in the living room in an open floorplan with the kitchen with some partial walls separating the rooms.

I agree with Mevimbe's recommendation - don't just pair a sub to the PLAY:1s.

My setup -
I have a PLAYBASE, SUB and two PLAY:1's setup in surround configuration in the living room and it fills both rooms - fantastic, but pricey. 🆒

I originally had a PLAY:5 in just my kitchen, and I was blown away by its power and fidelity...I later switched it out for the surround setup in the living room instead as I primarily source audio from my television and I prefer the surround for movies based on my seating layout - that may or may not factor into your decision.

I put the Play 5 in another room and depending upon what I am doing I group 🆒them for whole house TV or streaming audio.

If you just want music - a lower cost option is to get a play 5 for the living room, put the play 1's into the kitchen & group them?

Good luck!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
If your goal is to fill the larger space and assuming you were satisfied with the 2 1's in the smaller space i'll go with 2 more 1's carefully placed in the larger room.

That should fill the space nicely. You can always add the sub much later funds permitting.

Enjoy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A pair of Play 3s might be a nice compromise between the 1s and 5s, more sound than the 1s, better stereo image than the 5. Add a Sub later if you still want more low end.
Hi there -

Moving to a new home which has a big open living room/kitchen with vaulted ceilings. I currently have 2 Play1's in my small home but want to give the system a bit of an upgrade now that i'll have more space. Would you recommend adding a sub paired with the play 1's or add a play 5 with the two 1's?

Thanks!

I'd say, it depends - on what you want to achieve. If by an upgrade, you want to get better sound from music sources from the 1 pair in listening areas in the living room, then add the Sub to a 1 pair, all placed there. I am big fan of the 1 pair + Sub combination for music listening.

On the other hand if you want to fill more of the open space with music, adding more speakers to be placed in more of the space is the way to go.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Exactly what Kumar said. To improve the sound add a sub. So distrubute it in more rooms add a 5. I’ve got various combos and have experimented with various setups. I’m also leaning towards a pair of 1s and a Sub being overall best sounding combo for music.