Answered

Going from "combined" zones to stand-alone zone

• 6 January 2021
  • 3 replies

First post here.  I am definitely not a Sonos expert so I am going to try and articulate this (probably simple) question as best I can!

So right now I have 2 ancient Gen1 ConnectAmps that power 3 rooms and 2 zones.  To be more specific, I have one zone called “Patio” with wired speakers connecting to the first ConnectAmp and a second zone called “Kitchen / Diving Room” that connects the wired speakers in both those rooms (operating as basically a combined zone) to the second ConnectAmp.

What I would like to do is purchase 2 new Sonos amps, keep one of my old ConnectAmps, and basically move the currently combined zone to its own individual zone. That would mean putting Kitchen as Zone 1 on the new Amp, Dining Room as Zone 2 on the second new Amp, and then leaving Patio as its own Zone on the old ConnectAmp.  

That seems pretty basic to me, but the more I read the more confused I become so wanted to ask the question here.  Is that a viable option?  In theory, I don’t see why that would not work, but I have some lingering concerns about trying to run a Gen1 / S1 piece of equipment on the same network...using the same app...as the new S2 stuff.  Is that even possible?  Am I thinking of this the right way?

For what it’s worth I am also going to grab a couple of Sonos One speakers and add in a couple of new wireless zones, but I doubt that is relevant for my main question.  

Thanks for any info you may provide. Appreciate it.

icon

Best answer by controlav 6 January 2021, 15:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So long as you stick with the Sonos S1 app you should be fine. All of the listed hardware is S1-compatible. Under no circumstances install the S2 app, as it will want to update your new AMPs to S2 leaving your old Connects orphaned on S1.

Thank you  very much for your reply.  I was not aware of that and that is the type of info I was afraid of missing.  Much appreciated.  

Hi.  You should consider how likely it is in the future that you will want to play different music at the same time in the Kitchen and the Dining Room.  If the answer is ‘very rarely or never’ you could just use one Amp for your ‘combined zone’.  But you could add a speaker switch with volume controls so that you could control the volumes on the kitchen and dining room speakers independently, or switch off the speakers in one room completely.

You can of course get the 30% upgrade discount on the Amps, using the Connect:Amps.  You could sell the Connect:Amps.  You would then be able to use the S2 system and app, which eventually is where you will have to end up.

It is just an alternative to consider.