Answered

Five 5's instead of an Arc and two 5's for a person more interested in music than theater?

• 6 March 2023
  • 7 replies

I have my Arc immerse system on order and keep reading how the Arc butchers music in terms of sound and stereo separation.  

Tight of a solution of nixing the Arc and buying 3 5’s and a sub instead while using four of the five 5’s for true stereo F+R for music, and then using all 5 (add center) for cinema….thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 7 March 2023, 01:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How are you going to use the Fives for that? They don’t connect to a TV.

A pair of Amps and some other brand passive speakers might work but you get no center channel.

A pair of Amps and some other brand passive speakers might work but you get no center channel.

Ahhh, then how about a beam and two 5’s as opposed to the Arc?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

i guess you are asking ‘what about a Beam as center and two Fives as front L+R’. Also doesn’t work I’m afraid. The soundbar will be considered full front stage and cant have separate front speakers attached to it (only rears). If you want separate front L+R you can only use Amp and have two passive speakers as front L+R. it is not possible to get a physical center speaker in that set-up, but Amp will distribute the center channel to both front passive speakers creating a phantom center channel. Works really well! It depends on the passive speakers of course, but you can have a set-up vastly superioir to Beam or Arc when it comes to music and in some ways also for movies (e.g. soundtracks to movies), The only thing you cannot get with Amp is Atmos decoding. Here’s hoping that will change in the not too distant future.

i guess you are asking ‘what about a Beam as center and two Fives as front L+R’. Also doesn’t work I’m afraid. The soundbar will be considered full front stage and cant have separate front speakers attached to it (only rears). If you want separate front L+R you can only use Amp and have two passive speakers as front L+R. it is not possible to get a physical center speaker in that set-up, but Amp will distribute the center channel to both front passive speakers creating a phantom center channel. Works really well! It depends on the passive speakers of course, but you can have a set-up vastly superioir to Beam or Arc when it comes to music and in some ways also for movies (e.g. soundtracks to movies), The only thing you cannot get with Amp is Atmos decoding. Here’s hoping that will change in the not too distant future.

just because the system designates the 5’s as rears in the config, why cant I simply mount them in front and use them as mains and forego rears?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

just because the system designates the 5’s as rears in the config, why cant I simply mount them in front and use them as mains and forego rears?

Why not simply have a 3.0 or 3.1 home theatre system, and set the two Fives as stereo. Call one Video and the other Stereo. If you want the home theatre system to be 5.x you can add two One SL’s. 

Because you can't.  There is no way to configure them that way. You could configure them as surrounds, but that would mean sounds that are supposed to be behind you coming from the front.  Or you could group them, but that would mean an echo when watching TV sources.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Beam or Arc really depends on your room size and how loud you want things but as said they are all three front channels.

If you put Fives at the front of the room you have two options, as surrounds where you will get little sound from them and that usually won’t include what you get from the front three channels or as a stereo pair room grouped with the Arc/Beam when the sound will be delayed due to the networking. Neither is going to sound any good.

A 2.0 Five stereo Room, or maybe 2.1 using Ones and a Sub/SubMini will sound great for music but not for the TV.

A 3.0, 3.1, 5.0 or 5.1 With Arc/Beam, One SLs and possibly a Sub or MiniSub will be good for TV.

An Amp and your choice of passive speakers will get you 2.0 TV sound with an attempt to make it sound like you have a center channel by manipulating the two speakers. You can add surrounds directly or use another Amp and your choice of speakers.