Question

Do Sonos Play:1 and Sonos ONE both require direct Ethernet connections?

• 9 December 2017
  • 4 replies

I have Sonos at home and in a holiday (vacation) home, but I am not up to date with the technology. I want to buy a Sonos One or Play 1 as a Christmas gift for someone. However, their router is not in a convenient position for a Sonos device, so I'd like to know if the ONE and the Play 1 need a direct Ethernet connection? Is a Sonos Bridge needed? If so that is making it quite expensive.

And a general question. All other things being equal, would a Play 1 or ONE be a better choice? As far as I can tell their sound quality is the same but the latter comes with in-built Alexa, for about 50 GB pounds more.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No, Sonos no longer required an Ethernet connected device, though in larger installs, it is recommended that you use Boost or Sonosnet mode for liability purposes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also, if you opt to use WiFi mode, it may be necessary to temporarily wire the Sonos device to change the WiFi settings if a new router is received.

...though in larger installs, it is recommended that you use Boost or Sonosnet mode for liability purposes.
I think you mean reliability. 🙂
Who wants to bet on autocorrect on that one? 🙂
Nice catch on the typo, Mike.