Question

Do I need to buy a Sonos port to make a Sonos turntable work with the rest of our sonos system?

• 30 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I’m confused about whether the port is only needed if you have a traditional turntable you want to connect to Sonos or do you also need the port to connect a Sonos turntable to the rest of the Sonos system.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @ph6525.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you wanted to connect a traditional turntable to your Sonos ecosystem. Let me help you out with that.

What you would need is either a Sonos FiveA Sonos Port, or a Sonos Amp. These Sonos devices have a line-in port feature that would allow you to integrate your turntable into your Sonos system. Let me share with you a topic here in the community that discussed more details about integrating a turntable to Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

As your profile says you already have  an Amp, you don't need anything else, provided there is a suitable analog output on the turntable. 

Not sure exactly what you mean by a Sonos turntable. 

Sorry that I didn’t explain this well.  I am planning to buy the Sonos turntable and already have a Sonos amp, but it’s in a different room.  I’m trying to understand if by buying the Sonos turntable I’m able to skip buying the port because the Sonos turntable can connect directly (wirelessly hopefully) to the amp or do I need to buy a port.  I understand that I need a port if I wanted to connect a traditional turntable, but since I’m willing to buy the Sonos turntable I’m hoping that allows me to skip the port step. 

So the bottom line question is, does a Sonos turntable come with built-in functionality that enables me to connect to the Sonos amp wirelessly or do I need the port still?  

@ph6525, There is no ‘Sonos Turntable’, these are made by ‘Pro-Ject’. And yes, you still need a Port/Sonos AMP/Five/Play:5/Connect/Connect:AMP to cable the turntable to.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/accessories/turntables

As @Smilja says, there is no Sonos turntable.  The turntable on the Sonos site is a traditional turntable that contains zero Sonos software.  You can connect it to the line-in on your Amp so you do not need a Port.  The audio from any Sonos line in can be played on any and all Sonos devices in the Sonos system.