Deciding between Two Play Fives and Amp with Current Speakers

• 17 March 2021
  • 5 replies

I just moved into a new home. My main question right now is, for a gym (converted bedroom), would I be better served to purchase the Sonos Amp and connect two Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 speakers and Emotiva sub to it (already own them) or to purchase a pair of Play Fives. The bigger story of my setup for the whole home is below. I’d appreciate any advice at all about it. 

I recently moved and am currently upgrading all of my audio. My prior main room setup was a Denon receiver with a 3.1 setup consisting of 3 Ascend Acoustics speakers and an Emotiva 10” sub. It sounded great, but there were wires (seemingly everywhere), and it was not a part of a whole home / distributed audio system.  

The new house is forcing two changes. First, there is a whole home audio system, consisting of 6 pairs of in ceiling speakers in 6 rooms. Second, the living room (where I will do most of my TV watching / hanging out) does not really allow for a wired setup at all and is shaped very audio unfriendly. It has vaulted ceilings that peak at about 20 feet. And it opens up to the kitchen, so there is no back wall. 

In light of that, I was thinking of an Arc with sub for the main room and a port (or multiple ports) for the distributed audio (amp is already in the media closet). The Denon receiver will be retired. Depending on the answer to the question at the beginning of this, either the Ascend Acoustics center speaker will also be retired, or all three Ascends and the Emotiva will also be retired. 

I’d appreciate any input at all, especially if someone thinks there is a better way to do this.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

I don’t know much about the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s, but they seem to be pretty high-end speakers. I would get the Sonos Amp to power the Ascend speakers and connect the Emotiva sub.

As far as your main room, I think the Arc/Sub combo is a good choice, but don’t expect to hear much height effects from Dolby Atmos content because of your vaulted ceilings. But the Arc will still sound great.

How exactly are you powering your six pairs of in-ceiling speakers?

I’m powering the in-ceiling speakers with a Niles Audio 12 channel amp. Each pair has a Niles volume control in the room. That’s why I figured a Port or Ports would be best. 

I was wondering whether the Arc or Beam would be better given that I won’t really be getting the Atomos effect with the vaulted ceilings. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

Userlevel 7

If your main room is a larger room and your TV is over 50”, I would get the Arc. The Arc has 11 drivers as opposed to the Beam’s five drivers.

Got it. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Beam, even with a sub might be disappointing in that large a room. We find it so in our main room but great in two smaller spaces.

We may update to an ARC when we get a new TV for just that reason.