Creating surround sound

• 26 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have the Sonos 1 and at cocktail hour I bring it outside in my Tiki Hut to play music. The sound is good but I would love to have surround sound somehow. I thought that since it’s bluetooth maybe there are 3 smaller speakers I can connect wirelessly to the Sonos but there doesn’t seem to be. Each time I’ve researched the only answer seems to be is buy more Sonos 1’s but at over $200 a pop that’s not feasible. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bill in Florida

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

You need a home theatre device (Beam or Arc) and a suitable source for “surround” sound. Or, a second Play:1 (if that’s what you mean by a Sonos 1”) or a One to make a stereo pair. Play:1’s on eBay are quite low cost, and One’s are also readily available.

Note that neither the Play:1 nor the One support play or communication via Bluetooth so I think you need to research your speaker and options a bit more. 

Userlevel 7

A Sonos One is not Bluetooth compatible. The only Sonos speakers that can use Bluetooth are the Sonos Move ($399) and Sonos Roam ($179). But the Roam can act as a “Bluetooth gateway” to your other non-Bluetooth Sonos speakers.

If you want better sound in your tiki hut, you can look at adding Sonos One SLs ($199) which are a little less expensive than the Ones ($219) because they don’t have a built-in microphone. If you are on a budget, I would just add one One SL speaker and stereo pair it with the One so you would at least have stereo sound in your hut. Then save up and add more One SLs later.

If you use an iOS device, you could play audio to your One using AirPlay 2. You could then find other non-Sonos AirPlay 2 compatible speakers (like an Apple HomePod Mini - $99) and play them together with the One.

Read more about AirPlay 2 and Sonos here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

The term ‘surround sound’ generally means you have distinct audio channels at the rear of the room, usually audio from a TV source.  I don’t think that’s what you’re referring to.  Sonos speakers streaming from music sources will be in stereo, left and right speakers.  You can bond 2 like Sonos speakers together for a stereo pair.  If you want two pair of speakers playing the same audio, you would then group them together temporarily.

Also, the Sonos One does not use bluetooth, they are WiFi.  Sonos Move and Sonos Roam are Sonos bluetooth speakers, also capable of WiFi.  Both the Move and Roam are designed for your scenario, since they are portable. I would opt to get a single Move personally.  It will cover more space that your Sonos One, is portable, and has auto trueplay to improve the sound quality in whatever location you place it automatically.

Badge +2

Thank you for all your responses. I have the Sonos 1 Gen 2 speaker and I should have said WiFi VS Bluetooth. If I’m not looking to spend much more than another $200 it sounds like the best option I have is to get yet another Sonos one speaker. It won’t be surround sound but at least it won’t sound like the music is coming out of just one point in the room.

Thanks

Bill