Answered

connecting tape deck AND turntable via Sonos AMP to record of turntable

• 26 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a tape recorder on the way as I want to make mix tapes again from my vinyl collection. Currently my Yamaha wireless turntable is connected with the red and white cable to my  Sonos amp. I don’t think it’s possible to connect both the turntable and the Tapedeck at the same time as there’s only one “red and white -in” and also no switch to choose between tape deck and vinyl player. So do I need another “regular” amp that connects into the Sonos  amp and I connect both the turntable and the tape deck into the “regular amp” or can I connect t to be turntable wirelessly to the Sonos Amp and the tape deck with the red and white cable and then record straight away ? I am completely out of my depth here and not sure if I am even asking the question right :-) would appreciate any feedback , thanks already for your time to read this 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 June 2021, 08:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I think what you mean by a ‘regular amp’ is really just an RCA switch with two inputs, and one output. 

However, you could conceivably connect the turntable to the input of the tape deck, and the output of the tape deck to the Sonos. It would mean the tape deck would always need to be on when listening to your turntable, though. 

Thanks a lot for the fast reply. Connecting through the tape deck sounds like the way to go. I’ll try that as soon as the deck arrives. Thanks again 

AndreSIN,

I recommend connecting the turntable and tape deck as inputs to a simple RCA switch that is connected to the SONOS Line-In. You will also need an RCA-Y cable to connect the turntable output to both the RCA switch input and the tape deck input.

Connecting the turntable only through the tape deck is possible, but there will probably be some vexing operational characteristics. A three-head tape deck would be easier to deal with, but harder to find in the marketplace.

Okay thanks a lot. When looking online I find switchers and cables that also have a yellow plug for video. Can I use those and simply ignore the yellow one ?

In general, yes.

In this application I prefer passive switching (no remotes or automatic features) -- a simple mechanical switch. Some of the models with automatic features might sense video. I’m also suspicious of the audio quality of the very cheap automatic models.

Thanks again. If you have , could you post a link as a recommendation ?i would greatly appreciate 

While certainly not the cheapest kid on the block, this unit seems reasonable. (I have no experience with this unit)

Okay great. That gives me an idea what to look for. Thanks again , really appreciate you taking the time