Answered

Connecting legacy analog audio equipment into Sonos.

• 5 October 2022
  • 3 replies

I recently had my first stereo system refurbished, Marantz 2230 tuner/amp with a Philips 212 turntable.  I have wired speakers for the system which I will want to use on occasion.  My question is, what Sonos product would I use to bring the old system into the our Sonos system?  I have the following, Sonos Arc, Sub gen3, 2 One SLs as surround speakers and 1 Move.  I want to use the Marantz amp to drive the wired speakers and connect to the Sonos system, at the same time or separately. The Marantz has aux out.  My question is does the aux out require an Amp or can I connect to a Port?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 October 2022, 01:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

A Sonos Port would be ideal. Normally speaking, you attach it just like a cassette recorder, to a tape loop on the receiver. Note, however, that while everything will be in sync while playing “from Sonos” to the receiver, playing from the receiver to Sonos will incur around a 75ms delay between the Sonos and the receiver’s speakers. 

If the Marantz has a tape loop with source/monitor selector on the front, wire Port to tape out and to tape in via RCA cables. Selecting monitor will allow to not have any delay between Sonos and receiver speakers. 

PS: Said Marantz seems to be highly rated if in good working condition, and a keeper. And it does have the necessary Tape Monitor toggle button; wired as recommended, you will see the sync delay come and go when toggling that button.