Answered

Connecting active speakers to Sonos One

• 17 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I have been gifted Bang & Olufsen active speakers.  I want to connect them to my Sonos One but have no idea what kit I need to enable this.  I am not technically minded so be gentle with me!

icon

Best answer by James L. 17 February 2021, 16:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @Greyhoundgal, welcome to the community.

In order to get those speakers playing along-side your Sonos One you would need a Sonos Port.

You would connect your B&O speakers to the Port with RCA cables (red and white barrel jacks) and use the Sonos app to group the two players together.

I hope that clears things up! We’re here if you have any other questions :relaxed:

Thank you so much.  I’ll look into that.

A Port will make sense with its high price if you want to play the same music from the same source in perfect sync on all speakers. If that isn't a need, the B&O speakers will work just as well with an Echo Dot. Or, with an Echo Show 5 that will also serve up artwork. For much less than the price of the Port.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Greyhoundgal, without saying *which* B&O speaker model, you cannot be guaranteed that @James L. ’s answer is correct as to which cables you may need to connect to the Sonos Port.  Here is a more annoyingly complete answer, from which (hopefully!) you can pick your speaker model:

If they are old “BeoLab” 5, 8000, or 6000 speakers, then he got it right.  But some, e.g. BeoLab 3, 9, 2500, 4000, need a multi-pin DIN->2xRCA cable to connect to a Sonos Port.  If they are newer BeoLabs 18, 20, the 2xRCA cable is correct but really new ones like BeoLab 50’s do sound processing and thus add their own delay, so multi-room playback synchronization with the other Sonos speakers will be off.  Same problem with most modern “BeoSound” line of speakers, but the old BeoSounds and “BeoPlay” speakers (e.g. BS 8, BP A6) will sync fine.  Also, old or new, BeoSound and BeoPlay speakers use 3.5mm stereo (“headphone”) jack rather than the 2xRCA jacks, so you would buy a commonly available adapter cable.  (With one exception, the BeoPlay A9, which used the 2xRCA...)

Here is a comprehensive list for the BeoLab line:

https://support.bang-olufsen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041289752-Can-I-connect-my-Beolab-18-or-subwoofers-to-non-Bang-Olufsen-products-

Thank you so much for this info.  They’re Beolab 6000 so I think all good.  You’re very kind for sending me this info.