Answered

Connect to 2016 SONOS speakers

• 11 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

I’m still using my SONOS speakers (playbar, sub, 5 and 1) from 2016. I’m planning on getting a turntable and want to stream the music through all of the speakers. Currently, all of the speakers are connected via Wi-Fi.

Questions:

(1) Will the Port make this all work?

(2) If I get a turntable without a preamp, will I need the SONOS Amp?

Another advantage of getting the Port is that I will be able to stream directly from Apple AirPlay 2.

Thank you in advanced.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 April 2022, 02:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1. it could, but given that you already have a 5 ( I’m assuming a PLAY:5 of some type) you already have a line in available, so I’m not sure why you would need to spend extra money beyond the cable between the turntable preamp and the PLAY:5.
  2. All Sonos line ins are set up for a line level input, no matter what device they’re part of. If your turntable doesn’t have a preamp built in, you’ll need an external one between the turntable and the Sonos. The Amp is called the Amp because it powers an external set of non-Sonos speakers, and not because it might have a built in preamp….it does not have a built in preamp. 
  3. Yes, a newer Sonos device of any type would allow you to have an AirPlay 2 target, which you could group with your other Sonos devices, assuming they’re all running the same version of the Sonos software. 
Badge

Thank you for the answer.

The 5 is located at the top of a shelf and is no where near the location of the proposed turntable. This is why I am interested in the Port.

Makes sense. A Port should integrate perfectly with your current equipment.