Answered

connect or connect amp or both??

• 30 April 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Morning, I want to have a couple of external speakers to my sonos so I know i will need to get a connect amp for these.
My other question is i have a surround sound system with built in amp in my lounge which i would like to use too, can i use the connect amp to connect this too or do I need to buy the sonos connect without the amp?
Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 May 2017, 20:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

To hook up the surround system with built in amp, all you would need is a Connect, which is somewhat cheaper than a Connect: Amp.
Userlevel 2
Thanks for your reply, I understand that but also want to get a couple of external speakers and I know I will need a connect amp for these so do I have to buy both?
Sorry for the delay.

The Connect will provide the Sonos ecosystem to your current receiver. I'm not clear what you mean by "external" speakers, if you mean outside of the house, as opposed to outside of the 5.1 system?

Any other speakers could either be hooked to your current amplifier/receiver if it has that capability (second zone/room/whatever marketing term that company uses). If you don't want to have that external pair of speakers connected to your receiver, then you could either get a normal set of speakers from Sonos (Play:1, Play:3 or Play:5) if they're going to be used in a room that's inside. If you're talking about external to the house, most people on these boards recommend getting speakers designed for that purpose from companies other than Sonos, since Sonos doesn't make an outside capable speaker, and then wiring those speakers to a Connect:Amp, which would have the power necessary for those speakers to work, and still be part of your Sonos ecosystem.

Not sure how clear that is, but I hope it's helpful.