Connect or connect amp?

• 13 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Under what circumstances would someone buy one over the other? I have a friend who wants to add a turntable and currently only has four Play 1's he need to fill a large space and plans on adding more 1's.
Is a Connect Amp needed when using Sonos speakers or more for adding non Sonos speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Amp will allow you to add without purchasing another piece of hardware, however it may limit your ability to build your system (ie home theater). If you are primarily going to use the speakers for your turntable and Sonos only then I would suspect the Connect Amp will be all you need.
The Amp will allow you to add without purchasing another piece of hardware, however it may limit your ability to build your system (ie home theater). If you are primarily going to use the speakers for your turntable and Sonos only then I would suspect the Connect Amp will be all you need.

Thanks for the reply. I see there are thousand threads on Connect vs Amp and I'm reading now. I really didn't find an answer that matched my needs which is why I asked.
We are definitely looking to use only Sonos speakers. I should have added that this is going to be used in a food type business so there is not going to be any need for a home theater.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Both the Connect and the Connect Amp can be used to play a turntable with a preamp or CD player or radio through.
The Connect Amp has the added advantage that you can connect other non Sonos speakers, simply by connecting the speaker wire to the Connect Amp terminals, thereby bringing Sonos functionality to non Sonos equipment. As an example I have non Sonos speakers in my bathroom and the speakers wire runs to the Connect Amp (in the UK there are restrictions on having electrical equipment and sockets in bathrooms).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You might look at adding a Sonos Play 5 speaker that has a line in function instead of a connect or connect amp.
I agree with the one play 5 suggestion. The remaining required speakers can then be play 1 units grouped together with the 5 to propagate sound evenly across the space.

I am not sure that the food business - especially if it involves preparation - and a turntable go well together though. Research things like a NAS that contains owned music as well as streaming services. It may well be that the line in feature is not needed because the turntable isn't; all speakers could then be 1 units. Although the line in feature on the 5 may be a back up in future for other uses you don't even foresee today.
I agree with the one play 5 suggestion. The remaining required speakers can then be play 1 units grouped together with the 5 to propagate sound evenly across the space.

I am not sure that the food business - especially if it involves preparation - and a turntable go well together though. Research things like a NAS that contains owned music as well as streaming services. It may well be that the line in feature is not needed because the turntable isn't; all speakers could then be 1 units. Although the line in feature on the 5 may be a back up in future for other uses you don't even foresee today.

It's a brewery and will be used at times in the tasting room.

Thanks to everyone for all the information.