Answered

Connect Beam with optical cable

• 27 February 2022
  • 10 replies

I currently have a Playbar with the wires (power and optical) plastered into the wall. If I want to change it for a beam is there any adapter from the end of the optical cable to the hdmi of the beam? The adapter from sonos is from hdmi into optical but I need the reverse as I don’t want to redecorate and run a new hdmi cable down the wall to Samsung connect box. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 February 2022, 17:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

The supplied converter allows an optical from TV to connect to the HDMI port on the Beam.  (Strictly speaking, it’s am HDM-ARC port.)

Badge

The Beam comes with an adapter to convert optical to hdmi, but it plugs into optical socket. So you would need to convert to female end

The Beam comes with an adapter to convert optical to hdmi, but it plugs into optical socket. So you would need to convert to female end

How do I do that?

Badge

I think you can get a male to female adapter for the optical lead

Badge

Amazon do female to female link to extend optical cables

@Bazzer1983 .  The optical cable that currently plugs into your Playbar would instead go into one end of the supplied converter.  The converter then plugs into connection on the Beam. It’s what the converter is designed for.

@Bazzer1983 .  The optical cable that currently plugs into your Playbar would instead go into one end of the supplied converter.  The converter then plugs into connection on the Beam. It’s what the converter is designed for.

It says it is to connect to the tv though. I need it for the beam. 

Badge

Plug hdmi into beam and optical through connector to optical cable

Sorry, I think I was mistaken.  If you need to use your plastered in cable you would need an extra converter as described by @kjgouldstone .  You could always just disconnect the existing optical cable and replace it with the converter + HDMI cable, but it would not be buried away, obviously.

Userlevel 7

The components shown in the links below (found on Amazon) should work. As @John B said the cables will be exposed. I can’t confirm or deny if there will be signal loss due to the multiple connections. However, Amazon typically accepts returns without hassle if you’re not satisfied with the results. 

1. The Male to Female optical cable shown here will connect to your existing optical cable (Female end first). 
  2. The Female to Female optical barrel extender shown here will connect to the Male end of the cable in 1 above.
  3. The Optical to HDMI converter supplied with the Beam will connect to the open Female end of the extender in 2 above
  4. Connect the HDMI cable supplied with the Beam to the Optical to HDMI converter