Connect AND connect:amp?

• 17 December 2018
  • 11 replies

Having a company install a tv, Sonos play bar, sub, connect:amp, and 2 in wall speakers in my living room. Had a guy do a walk through today - they are high end and no stranger to Sonos

The house is pre wired for all this.

My internet router is upstairs in another room.

Does this warrant getting a connect AND a connect amp? I could be totally wrong but I feel this is redundant to get both

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Hilljj

It depends.

1. The Connect:AMP might be used to drive the in wall speakers which most likely have to be hardwired in order for them to be used in the Sonos setup.

2. The Connect might be used to bring in an AV Receiver that has a turntable, CD player or other source connected to it. The connection would be RCA-out (Tape or AUX) from the AV Receiver to RCA-in of the Connect.

3. The Connect might be used to bring a set of powered speakers into the Sonos setup.

4. The Connect might be used in a dual purpose roll. Your router is upstairs lets' assume that the components mentioned in 2 and 3 are located in proximity to your router. In theory the Connect could also be used to setup a Boost mode to generate the SonosMesh to allow for better coverage vs Wi-Fi (Standard) setup.

The latter 3 are probable and iffy assuming you don't have the equipment mentioned and in that case the Connect would be overkill.

Cheers!
It all depends on what they're being used for. One provides the ability to power non-Sonos speakers, the other is a great way to connect a Sonos system to a previously existing amplifier.

For instance, in your first paragraph, the CONNECT:AMP (and I'd ask them to install a Sonos Amp instead, just released and slightly better) would be used to power the two in-wall speakers that you speak of. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they'd be used as surround speakers, but either way, they need some sort of "amped" device to power them. Could be a Sonos CONNECT:AMP or a Sonos Amp, or some amplifier of other origin.

What purpose have they told you the CONNECT will be intended for? Is it connecting the Sonos system to a pre-existing stereo system, or perhaps acting as an input device for a turntable, CD player, what have you?

Edit: AJTrek1 types faster than I do 🙂
I would be hard pressed to justify a Connect:Amp at the moment, with the new Sonos Amp available (or shortly to be available, depending on where you live)
After a little more digging it seems the connect:amp is to power the wired in wall speakers

The connect is to hook those two speakers AND the play bar up to the wireless network.

Does the Sonos Amp - replace both of these?
Userlevel 7
It all depends

Edit: AJTrek1 types faster than I do :)

Thought I'd used your signature opening..."It depends" :8
The Sonos Amp is a new improved version of the Connect:Amp. The Connect is unchanged. The Sonos Amp does not need to be hardwired to the network to be used for rear surrounds.
After a little more digging it seems the connect:amp is to power the wired in wall speakers

The connect is to hook those two speakers AND the play bar up to the wireless network.

Your comment about the Connect doesn't really make sense. Are you sure you don't mean a Boost?

Your comment about the Connect doesn't really make sense. Are you sure you don't mean a Boost?

This is from the gent who did the walk through " I took off the Sonos connect amp (from the proposal/quote) as you already have one and put in a Sonos connect so that we can connect the system to the network

I figured the Connect:amp would power the 2 wired in wall speakers and connect them + the sonos soundbar + TV to the wireless network.

Nothing will be hard wired to the router/ethernet cable.
It all depends on what they're being used for. One provides the ability to power non-Sonos speakers, the other is a great way to connect a Sonos system to a previously existing amplifier.

For instance, in your first paragraph, the CONNECT:AMP (and I'd ask them to install a Sonos Amp instead, just released and slightly better) would be used to power the two in-wall speakers that you speak of. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they'd be used as surround speakers, but either way, they need some sort of "amped" device to power them. Could be a Sonos CONNECT:AMP or a Sonos Amp, or some amplifier of other origin.

What purpose have they told you the CONNECT will be intended for? Is it connecting the Sonos system to a pre-existing stereo system, or perhaps acting as an input device for a turntable, CD player, what have you?

Apologies in advance if this is confusing.

TV + sonos sound bar are mounted to wall. Opposite wall is already wired for 2x in wall speakers which they will install and I am assuming connect to the connect:amp. Sonos sub will sit in same room under console table.

Wireless router is in another room up stairs but provides great network signal to the room with sonos gear.

He said the CONNECT will be used to get everything on the wireless network, no pre-existing stereo system cd player or turntable. The only hardware is the TV, sonos soundbar, sonos sub, 2 in wall speakers, and connect:amp

Not sure it makes a difference but everything is brand new in box. We have no hardware currently installed besides the room already being pre-wired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You don't need a connect - he must be confused. I see no reason to buy a connect. Tell him don't get that. The only thing you could get would be a BOOST/BRIDGE to wire to router to give you Sonosnet (but you said you get a great wifi signal in the one room your doing and you probably don't need Sonosnet).

One thing though - the Connect:Amp to be used to power the rear speakers has to be ethernet hard wired to your router or the playbar. It can't operate wirelessly. If inconvinient to run an ethernet wire from the Connect:Amp to the Playbar/router then get new Sonos Amp instead (as it doesn't have that wired connection requirement).
I concur, as usual, with Chris. Seems like an unnecessary expense to have a CONNECT as well. If absolutely necessary (and I'd doubt that it is), the BOOST would be a better choice.

And yes, the Sonos Amp would be better than a Sonos CONNECT:AMP, IMHO.