Answered

connect AMP with passive speakers and active sub

• 10 March 2018
  • 3 replies

hi all.
im in the market for a new home theatre system. I have older KEF egg speakers with a KEF sub. The speakers and sub work absolutely fine. i have speaker cable wired into the roof so was planning on keeping the KEF's to add rear surround sound connected to a playbar and use the KEF sub.
I understand that the connectamp allows me to connect older speakers, so was going to connect the rear surround speakers to that. My question is, can i also add the KEF sub to the connectamp? the sub is powered.

i dont have power in the roof, otherwise i would have used just two play1's but dont want the hassle of adding the power. For the money that i will be spending on the connect amp, it would save me having to my the sonos sub...

so....
in the end the set up will be
1. playbar
2. connectamp
3. two kef eggs connected into connectamp for rear surround (not powered)
4. kef sub connect into connectamp (powered)
icon

Best answer by ratty 10 March 2018, 09:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You can't use a third party sub with the PLAYBAR. The sub output on the CONNECT:AMP is disabled when it's configured to drive passive surround speakers.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2248
Thanks Ratty. That’s a shame.

I guess the set up will need to be:

1. playbar
2. connectamp
3. two kef eggs connected into connectamp for rear surround
4. Sonos sub

That will work won’t it?
That will work. Note the network requirements in the FAQ article. The system has to be in 'BOOST' mode (i.e. with at least one component wired to the network). There also needs to be a wired path between the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP.

I once owned one of those little Kef subs. Sonos SUB is something different. You won't be disappointed.