Confused about what I need

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a Sonos system today, basically I’m trying to achieve the following but don’t know where to start, I’m a bit confused by all the different products available.

Live in a fairly large size home (6,000 sq ft), entire home has good wi-fi and most rooms have ethernet sockets.

I have a Synology DS2314+ NAS that I store my music on, which the Sonos would need to access.

If I wanted standard speakers in around 8 rooms, to all play at same time same music, what would the best options be for me please?

Also, can speakers be configured independently, for instance, in our kids 3 rooms, can the 3 speakers there be playing something different, whilst the other 5 speakers downstairs are linked to each other?

Cost not a problem, as I’ve budgeted for this and will be used for many years.

Thanks!

13 replies

Oh an additional question would be, I would be looking to have an additional speaker to take into the garden? Thanks

Without much more detail about your Home - here’s a quick summary of what I would perhaps purchase for our Home:

Living Room

• Sonos Arc Home Theatre (Linked to main TV)
  • 2 x Sonos Fives (surrounds)
  • 1 x Port (linked to Turntable/Pre Amp or BT Transmitter/Receiver)
  • 2 x Sub

Dining Room

• Sonos Beam Home Theatre (Linked to TV)
  • 2 x Sonos Ones (surrounds)
  • Sub

Kitchen

• 2 x Sonos One (grouped)
  • 1 x Sonos Move to take outdoors 
  • 1 x Sonos Roam to take outdoors 

Reception Area 

• 1 x Sonos One SL

Main Bedroom

• Sonos Beam Home Theatre (Linked to TV)
  • 2 x Sonos One (surrounds)

Young Childs Bedroom-1

• 1 x Sonos One

Teenager Bedroom-2

• 2 x Sonos One (stereo paired)

Shower Room

• 1 x Sonos Roam

Main Garden Area 

• 1 x Sonos Amp
  • 2 or 4 x Sonance outdoor speakers 

YMMV depending on the size of property and what devices (TV’s etc.) that you may have in situ already. 

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much!

For the living room, I already have a high end Yamaha surround system for the TV.

Also the kids have Amazon Echo, not sure they can be utilised with the Sonos?

Main requirement is multi-room music.

Thanks!

Hi Ken,

Thank you so much!

For the living room, I already have a high end Yamaha surround system for the TV.

Also the kids have Amazon Echo, not sure they can be utilised with the Sonos?

Main requirement is multi-room music.

Thanks!

Well all Sonos devices will play wired/wireless, either standalone, grouped, stereo paired (mostly same speakers only), or bonded to a Sonos HT product as surrounds, so it’s more a case of picking what you want for each room depending on room size etc.

Move and Roam are great for outdoors - I highly recommend the Move for the Garden area unless you require something more permanent outdoors. 

Also, just as an example, A Sonos One can act as the speaker output for an echo device and be controlled by Alexa, and/or Sonos Voice Control, if you are inclined to greatly improve the output quality of your children's echo devices, or they can replace the echo device to allow the echos to be used elsewhere.

Sonos can play the same stream on every speaker in the system. It can play different streams on each speaker in the system.

It can also do all points in between those two extremes. All combinations of subgroups are possible. 

However, you cannot group Sonos and Echo devices to play in sync. As Ken suggested, you can use an Echo as the voice control device and the Sonos SL, for example, as the speaker. 

A minor detail: I recommend wiring as many speakers to the network as is practical. Any combination of wired/wireless is supported, but you don’t need to be too anal about this.

A PORT could be used as an input to the YAMAHA.

Many of the SONOS powered speakers directly support ALEXA. You can use Echo’s in other rooms.

Use SONOS AMP’s to drive 3rd party passive speakers. Each AMP has a single stereo speaker output. 

For example, you could use a pile of AMP’s in the basement to drive regular passive speakers and place Echo’s in any room where you’d like voice control..

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I have a house party on Saturday so just going to buy what’s required for that first then will worry about upstairs/other rooms.

Basically will be using two rooms, a very large kitchen diner, a bar, plus outside, is this the required config please:

Kitchen diner:

2 x Sonos One (as room large)

Bar

1 x Sonos One

Outside

1 x Move or Roam, which is best you think?

All will be playing the same music.

Do any need to be on ethernet, main one?

Thanks!

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

I have a house party on Saturday so just going to buy what’s required for that first then will worry about upstairs/other rooms.

Basically will be using two rooms, a very large kitchen diner, a bar, plus outside, is this the required config please:

Kitchen diner:

2 x Sonos One (as room large)

Bar

1 x Sonos One

Outside

1 x Move or Roam, which is best you think?

All will be playing the same music.

Do any need to be on ethernet, main one?

Thanks!

The Move would be my choice - I would not choose to wire any devices if the WiFi signal is good in the areas where you plan to site the speakers - but consider the wired mesh setup if it isn’t - see this support document to help you with that decision…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

Great, thanks Ken, will go with the Move!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you want to play your own music, be aware that there’s a 65k limit on the amount of songs Sonos will store. A work around for this is Plex (but you’ll maybe need Plex Pass).

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a Sonos system today, basically I’m trying to achieve the following but don’t know where to start, I’m a bit confused by all the different products available.

Live in a fairly large size home (6,000 sq ft), entire home has good wi-fi and most rooms have ethernet sockets.

I have a Synology DS2314+ NAS that I store my music on, which the Sonos would need to access.

If I wanted standard speakers in around 8 rooms, to all play at same time same music, what would the best options be for me please?

Also, can speakers be configured independently, for instance, in our kids 3 rooms, can the 3 speakers there be playing something different, whilst the other 5 speakers downstairs are linked to each other?

Cost not a problem, as I’ve budgeted for this and will be used for many years.

Thanks!

Personally after the system “upgrade” from S1 to S2 I wouldn’t purchase a Sonos system again, their poor engineering will cost me over $1200. In replacement speakers that are no longer recognized because of the “upgrade” I can’t add anything new unless I upgrade and if I do I lose 3 perfectly good speakers, customer service and technical help keep saying “sorry” Apparently if you read the response from Sonos they are happy with change and it hasn’t affected their sales at all. If you’d like to purchase my partially outdated system I’ll gladly sell it to you, if you insist on getting a system, note that the market is flooded with $50. Speakers that cost $500. 4 years ago…enjoy!

Personally after the system “upgrade” from S1 to S2 I wouldn’t purchase a Sonos system again, their poor engineering will cost me over $1200. In replacement speakers that are no longer recognized because of the “upgrade” I can’t add anything new unless I upgrade and if I do I lose 3 perfectly good speakers, customer service and technical help keep saying “sorry” Apparently if you read the response from Sonos they are happy with change and it hasn’t affected their sales at all. If you’d like to purchase my partially outdated system I’ll gladly sell it to you, if you insist on getting a system, note that the market is flooded with $50. Speakers that cost $500. 4 years ago…enjoy!

And you joined this forum today to mention these things, which are entirely inaccurate in any case?

You have listed these devices in your online profile …

• Sonos Roam
  • Sonos Move
  • Sonos One
  • Sonos One SL
  • Play:3
  • Play:5 (Gen 1)
  • Boost

That list shows one device that is S1 compatible only - everything else will happily run on S2. So what you are referring to makes no sense. Also it matters not if you have S1 or S2 system or both they will each happily work together under the same/different Sonos account and the same/different network subnet.

The information you’ve supplied and in your online community account, strongly leads me to think you are just ‘trolling’ here, unless you can explain your comments and your listed Sonos devices?

Play:5 Gen 1 haven’t been manufactured since 2015.  If you bought one 4 years ago, it was sitting on the shelf for 3 years, which is highly unlikely.  Just another one of the many lies you have posted.