CenturyLink DSL modems- ZyXel pk5000Z or pk5001Z signal strength for SONOS?

• 25 May 2017
  • 4 replies

I want to install a SONOS system at a lake house in a rural setting. CenturyLink is the provider and I would be purchasing a ZyXel pk5000Z or pk5001Z DSL modem through them. Does anyone have any experience with this type of configuration, and if so, what are the results? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I can't think why Sonos should have a problem locally. How big a system? Were you planning to run it entirely off the Zyxel's WiFi (Standard Setup), or would there be a wired Sonos component (SonosNet/BOOST Setup)?

Of course with regular ADSL your internet bandwidth will be limited, and a lakeside setting could imply a long local loop. Depending on your plans for playing multiple simultaneous streams and your choice of online service provider the incoming feed could be a potential choke point.
Thanks for the reply. I would probably go with a wired BOOST to help ensure connectivity. I assume this system would be no larger than (2) playbars, (1) play 5, and possibly (2) play 3. I could see maybe three streams at once max, but no more than that and not very often. In addition to the sonos loop siphoning off the wifi signal, we will have 6-7 users that will be doing their typical social media usage stuff over the same wifi produced by the ZyXel. Does that pose a potential problem? I'm out a little out of my depth here; our sonos system at home is via spectrum cable with a BOOST, so no issues.
I don't see why you should have any issues which couldn't be sorted, subject of course to the incoming bandwidth being sufficient to cope with all your expected users.