Ceiling Speakers

• 5 February 2019
  • 8 replies

I see Sonos now has ceiling speakers. I have other sonos products, including the sonos connect amp, play 1's, soundbar, etc.

My question is if these ceiling speakers can connect to the existing sonos connect amp I already use or do I need another amp for the ceiling speakers?

thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I see Sonos now has ceiling speakers. I have other sonos products, including the sonos connect amp, play 1's, soundbar, etc.

My question is if these ceiling speakers can connect to the existing sonos connect amp I already use or do I need another amp for the ceiling speakers?

thank you

They are passive speakers, so they will work with any receiver or amp, including the Connect: amp and not limited to Sonos products. However, you won't be able to trueplay tune these speakers without a Sonos amp, and I imagine they will sound much better with the Amp, since they were designed to work well together.
thank you
Are they wireless or do they need to be wired?

What diameter are they?

Thank you
They will be wired. Speaker wire, not a power cable. I haven't seen any information on the size of the speakers or any of the other specs. I'm hoping Sonos puts out an official announcement on these boards with that info, but since it's not currently on the product page, I kind of doubt it. Although Sonos staff will probably be able to provide an answer.
thank you
By the way, these are not Sonos speakers, they're from a company called Sonance, which is a partner, but not part of Sonos.
By the way, these are not Sonos speakers, they're from a company called Sonance, which is a partner, but not part of Sonos.

The line seems rather blurry on this. The news media seems to be mostly referring to them as Sonos speakers. The speakers are sold on the Sonos site, but a search for the word 'Sonos' on the Sonance site has no results. And a peek at the back of the ceiling and in-wall speakers has both brands prominently displayed. Yes, they are made by Sonance, but I don't know that you can clearly say they are not Sonos speakers.
Well, I'm going by earlier conversations with Ryan, and the fact that the sales page on the Sonos website says:

Sonos Architectural by Sonance

With a shared commitment to superior sound and great design, Sonos and Sonance have partnered on a collection of architectural passive speakers optimized for Sonos Amp.

It's the "by Sonance" that keys it for me. They may have had input from Sonos, but "by" is a pretty clear indicator to me that it's Sonance's speaker.

But I will agree it's a bit fuzzy. 🙂

And I'm concerned at some point this forum becomes the support forum for Sonance and all of their speakers. Perhaps if they purchase Sonos, names being similar and all that, it would be fine. But I'm hoping we're only supporting the Sonos Amp, and not the Sonance speakers as well.