Answered

Can a Sonos AMP drive KEF R300 speakers properly?

• 2 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Can the NEW Sonos AMP drive the KEFR300 120watts at 8ohm speakers?

i am curious because the specs say 125 watts per channel at 8 ohm so in theory it could work. I am sure anyone here can let me know if it is a go or no go according to you guys.

Its a nice price point for a D-Amp at 125w per channel but i guess that that is Peak levels. In real life this would be something close to 70-90 watts i guess? I understand the R300’s are not easy to drive.

looking forward to your opinions on this one. Cheers
icon

Best answer by jgatie 2 August 2019, 22:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

They'll be fine. Wattage ratings on speakers don't really mean much, and @ 88 dB sensitivity, they aren't terribly hard to drive. You will surely be needing earplugs before you max out the Amp on those speakers.
Its a nice price point for a D-Amp at 125w per channel but i guess that that is Peak levels. In real life this would be something close to 70-90 watts i guess? I understand the R300’s are not easy to drive.

No, the spec is RMS and not peak levels.

Having said that, there are two things to consider. KEFs are not the easiest of loads, I suspect that their real world impedances dance a lot closer to 4 ohms. The other thing is some reports here of the Sonos Amp not delivering the sound levels that would be expected from the power spec, although there are reports that contradict this as well.

Given this, a test, preferably at home, before the final buy is suggested.
PS: for what it is worth: my Connect Amp with a 55 wpc RMS spec sounds more comfortable driving a pair of Dali Zensors that it does with KEF Q100. In theory, the new Amp should deliver sound levels that are about 20% higher than Connect Amp, with speakers that can take its power.
Thanks for the replies, i will give it a shot