Buying Port on eBay vs Best Buy

• 1 February 2021
  • 12 replies

I’ve been looking recently at getting a Port to use in my office and bringing in my receiver and 5 disc CD changer -- probably going to add a TT as well.  I have a stero pair of Play:1’s in there and plan to add a sub next time I can get a reburb/open box or sale.  

The Port would help me even without the TT and I see them listed on eBay as “BRAND NEW, IN BOX” for $349.xx USD.  

What is the catch here?  How are they $100 off MSRP?  Closest I found to that was BB “open box - excellent” for $381.xx but it sold too quick.

Should I just pick one up off of eBay?  Is there a benefit to buying from BB over eBay?  Any other buying advice/tips?

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

The main benefit purchasing from a store like Best Buy is you are buying from an authorized Sonos dealer and reputable brick and mortar store. Yes, you can find a better price from a random seller on eBay, but you are getting the peace of mind from Best Buy.

All that to say I have purchased a new Sonos Amp and a used Play:5 from eBay sellers because I got a great deal, and I am very happy with my purchases.

Also, eBay runs “eBay Bucks” specials every now and then where you can get cash back in eBay Bucks that you can apply to future purchases. This is great time to purchase a big ticket item on eBay.

Buying from an unauthorised dealer would mean any guarantee would be invalid. 

Authorised dealers are not allowed to sell on eBay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Brand new in box doesn’t mean Sonos wouldn’t consider it used as you didn’t purchase it new but from a previous owner.

Folks can get some great discounts from Sonos from time to time and they might well buy something to resell. The discount they used would let them make a profit even selling below list price.

I’d but new but no way would I buy from Best Buy, there are other much more reputable dealers or even buying direct.

Thanks for the replies folks, I greatly appreciate it!  The lot of Sonos Port’s from the one seller appear to have sold out (there are plenty more).  If it came down to one outlet like Best Buy being authorized and therefore carrying the factory warranty, I’d pay more for that.

@Stanley_4 , I’d be curious to hear why you dislike Best Buy (BB).  I’m not a huge BB shopper and I never was, but I don’t have a lot against them either.  I would think it’d be better to buy it from there, even open-box, for warranty purposes, no?  

@Stanley_4 , I’d be curious to hear why you dislike Best Buy (BB).  I’m not a huge BB shopper and I never was, but I don’t have a lot against them either.  I would think it’d be better to buy it from there, even open-box, for warranty purposes, no?  

I’m curious as well.  I have had issues with BB in the past, regarding how they run their interest free offers, but I do look to them when buying certain electronics (TVs, laptops).  I do find they are overpriced for certain things like cables, switches, mounts, etc, so I look elsewhere.

When it makes sense, I’ll buy direct from the manufacturer, like Sonos, even if I’m not getting the best price.  I like the idea that the entire profit is going to the manufacturer. 

I’m curious as well.  I have had issues with BB in the past, regarding how they run their interest free offers, but I do look to them when buying certain electronics (TVs, laptops).  I do find they are overpriced for certain things like cables, switches, mounts, etc, so I look elsewhere.

When it makes sense, I’ll buy direct from the manufacturer, like Sonos, even if I’m not getting the best price.  I like the idea that the entire profit is going to the manufacturer. 

I’m with you on the “ethical purchasing” notion.  Honestly, that’s one of the aspects that fueled my post.  I don’t like the thought that getting 20-25% off means buying something that “fell off the back of a truck”.  I also don’t like if it voids the factory warranty by not buying from an authorized seller.  I’d pay the extra ~$50 to buy from BB (still ~$75 off of new), to know that it came through the proper distribution channels and the manufacturer would still recognize warranty.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have found Best Buy is very bad about rotating stock and if your luck is bad you can get a very old device.

Worse many Best Buys have poor storage options and stuff that is moving slowly can end up in dead storage, no climate control.

Returning items for either/both problems can be difficult. They refused to accept a return on my Sonos devices, a couple of which were manufactured well over a year before the sale and had set in a metal shipping container in the Phoenix summer sun. First charge cycle blew the battery and split the cases open.

There are almost always better options to buy Sonos than Best Buy.

I have found Best Buy is very bad about rotating stock and if your luck is bad you can get a very old device.

Worse many Best Buys have poor storage options and stuff that is moving slowly can end up in dead storage, no climate control.

Returning items for either/both problems can be difficult. They refused to accept a return on my Sonos devices, a couple of which were manufactured well over a year before the sale and had set in a metal shipping container in the Phoenix summer sun. First charge cycle blew the battery and split the cases open.

There are almost always better options to buy Sonos than Best Buy.

Thanks for the reply!  I’d love to know where else I can pick up Sonos stuff (open box/refurtb) as I really want a sub but Sonos is out of them (refurb’d) right now.  I’ll buy ANYTHING from the manufacturer used/refurb’d before buying from a retailer for sure, but in this case for the port, Sonos doesn’t have any refurb ones.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you must buy from Best Buy, at least flip the Sonos over and verify the manufacture date on the data plate so you don’t get an antique as some folks have done. You really want to avoid gear that won’t use the new S2 software.

Does Amazon have refurbs? They have had inexpensive four year warranty packages too, a bit of assurance you won’t be unhappy soon.

Userlevel 7

@Leo1818 Have you considered Crutchfield? They currently have an open box Port on sale for a good price. Crutchfield is a highly-respected authorized Sonos dealer. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_616PORT1BK/Sonos-Port.html?cc=02&tp=63339

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Just buy it from Sonos and be done with it.  Whatever more it may cost you -- it will buy you peace of mind.  I bought all my Sonos stuff directly from Sonos (including my Port).  No middle men.

Appreciate all replies!  I hadn’t considered Amazon (used) but I’ll look there next time.  I love Crutchfield!  I didn’t know they sold Sonos open box.  I have a $14 points credit there.  Still puts the open box port higher than the BB one :(  

Best Buy seems to be turning out the open box ports quickly.  They’ll be available for shipping… then they won’t…. the next day, they are again.   I can only think they’re going through that stock so hopefully it’s not old and it’s actually in Excellent condition as they mention.  Maybe we’ll see…