Buy now or wait for June 6th Announcement

Hi and hello,

Was just about to pull the trigger on Sonos Playbar or base, sub and 2x Ones but then I see the June 6th announcement and am concerned that I should have held fire before spending not inconsiderable amount of cash (c.£2k).

That being said though, I'd like everything place before the World Cup.....any thoughts suggestions?

Part 2 - I'd rather the Playbar than base but my TV stand has legs running through it on either end that the bar would have too sit behind, will this affect the sound?

Thanks
A

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I would definitely wait, or you could use the sonos direct 100day no-quibble return.
Hopefully there will be a new centre speaker with HDMI that can handle DTS:X, add 4 x play ones or better, with a sub for proper 5.1 surround at least.
You could look into a new tv stand that used the wall mount screw holes on back of tv instead.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Playbar, wait, playbase no reason to wait. It looks like the bar is getting update, not the base. But the new speaker will most likely not be out before the world cup in Europe.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As above. Playbar.....wait. Playbase........... just go ahead.

As someone that looked at both I opted for the Playbase based on sound quality as much as anything else. To my ears the Playbar sounded very muddied while the Playbar has much better base and greater depth to its mid range.

My TV has very widely spaced feet that would have straddled the Playbase but were too widely spaced for my TV stand and the Playbar would have been impractical too. Ended up with a Sanus stand which is lovely and makes the TV float above the Playbase.
You don't have to guess. The World Cup starts on the 14th so you'll have a little over a week to get an idea if the new product is worth waiting for. It surely have new features, but those features may not interest you very much. I don't see any risk of getting the Ones and Sub now though as it would really a surprise if the new device doesn't work with those in a HT setting.

As far as your Part 2 question, I'm not sure I'm understanding your physical setup. Are you saying that the playbar would need to sit behind the tv because the tv legs are in the way if you place it in front? I would not do that. If you really want a playbar, then I would look into ways to engineer it so that the playbar is below/in front of the tv slightly. That could mean placing something (hockey puck?) enter the legs to raise it up, attaching the tv to the wall, or something of that nature.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Wait and find out the release date and returns policy post announcement. ‘Legacy’ kit may be reduced to shift too.
Might not be new hardware:
https://www.twice.com/product/onkyo-pioneer-integra-joins-works-with-sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

However they achieve it, looks like HDMI and potentially Atmos (or at least higher res surround) could well be accessible in the near future. TBH A fully Sonos compatible multifunction AV received with effectively a built in surround capable Connect would be ideal, and would provide a fantastic upgrade path as well as a wider choice of interfaces and interconnectivity. The future's looking bright!

Edit:

Erm... this link suggest that the two are unrelated announcements. and the Works with Sonos badge does not seem to offer a huge amount other than app control. Still need a connect 😞 Still, good to see the ecosystem growing wither way.

https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-now-works-with-sonos-but-still-need-a-sonos-connect/
The Sonos invitation is for the same date and has a picture of remote controls.
Why would Sonos add a lot to the World Cup experience; it isn't as if it will be a movie with an effects sound track and modern TVs have enough sound setting options to do enough justice to sports.

Based on that, and the nearness of June 6th, wait.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

However they achieve it, looks like HDMI and potentially Atmos (or at least higher res surround) could well be accessible in the near future. TBH A fully Sonos compatible multifunction AV received with effectively a built in surround capable Connect would be ideal, and would provide a fantastic upgrade path as well as a wider choice of interfaces and interconnectivity. The future's looking bright!

Edit:

Erm... this link suggest that the two are unrelated announcements. and the Works with Sonos badge does not seem to offer a huge amount other than app control. Still need a connect 😞 Still, good to see the ecosystem growing wither way.

https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-now-works-with-sonos-but-still-need-a-sonos-connect/

I wonder if this means that their AV receivers will be able to play different sound fields without the introduction of a sync issue? Would be good if it did.

I wonder if this means that their AV receivers will be able to play different sound fields without the introduction of a sync issue? Would be good if it did.

Duncan, who are the 'their' you're referring to? Sonos or Onkyo? Either way, the move have devices that handle AV without a sync issue. I would be surprised if this announcement is going to 'fix' any of the devices that don't currently sync well with video, for either company.

I don't think the Onkyo announcement means that there isn't going to be new hardware for Sonos. In fact, I take it as sign that there could be some really good features coming in the new device. I am completely guessing, but what if the improvements to the Onkyo receivers were part of a deal between Sonos and Onkyo? What Sonos works with Onkyo to allow their receivers to be controlled by Sonos and by Alexa to an extent. I can see where this would help Onkyo sales, even if it means a customer has to buy a sonos connect. On the other side, Onkyo helps Sonos in developing their new AV hardware, giving them assistants with HDMI and the codecs Sonos doesn't normally work with. That sounds like a relatively fair deal. Especially if Sonos has a price drop on the Connect coming soon.

I don't know, I'm purely speculation. I could be wrong, but I thought 'works was Sonos' has been around for awhile, and I was not aware that anything outside of Sonos products can be controlled through the Sonos app. I would absolutely love it if it's true, but I wouldn't be surprised if the articles are incorrect on that potential feature.
Badge +1
Im in a very similar situation and I am waiting. I picked up 6 ones last week and a few play 5s. Need a playbar, 2-subs and then Im done for a while.
Just order the playbar yesterday (delivery today) after months of considering getting rid of my 5.1 speakers, receiver etc. So now i see there's a new product being announced 6th June. So if it is a "playbar 2" kind of thing and clearly superior to the playbar, would i be able to avail of the 100 day return policy on the basis that i "want the better one", or would i have to be a bit inventive and say "i don't like the sound"???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just order the playbar yesterday (delivery today) after months of considering getting rid of my 5.1 speakers, receiver etc. So now i see there's a new product being announced 6th June. So if it is a "playbar 2" kind of thing and clearly superior to the playbar, would i be able to avail of the 100 day return policy on the basis that i "want the better one", or would i have to be a bit inventive and say "i don't like the sound"???

I believe it's a "No quibble" return policy. Personally if it were me I'd leave it unpacked and then make the decision once the announcement is out. Then if you do return it Sonos have a brand new un-opened Playbar rather than one where it has to be re-packed

I believe it's a "No quibble" return policy. Personally if it were me I'd leave it unpacked and then make the decision once the announcement is out. Then if you do return it Sonos have a brand new un-opened Playbar rather than one where it has to be re-packed

Ha Ha, you've stronger will than me!! My full system went a few days ago and for the first time in almost twenty years I had to use the TV speakers last two nights (terrible) - the playbar will be opened and hooked up tonight like a kid at Christmas!! (a 40yr old kid)