Boost vs Bridge

• 17 July 2018
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies
Currenlty I we have a set-up of two Sonos 5, one sones 3 and four sonos 1 in a house of around 180 square meters. Our set-up is connected to our router via a bridge. We are experiencing holes in the streaming and wondering if the system is overloaded. It is espcially when we are playing on all the speakers at the same time.

Would the stream quality change significantly if we replaced the bridge with a boost?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Maybe. BOOST has somewhat better range than BRIDGE, plus improved interference rejection.

Another possible factor is that BRIDGE power supplies can start to fail as they age, reducing their output voltage. This can trigger intermittent connectivity problems.

Before making any new purchases I suggest you submit a system diagnostic and post the number. Sonos Support can then advise.

Alternatively if you have strong WiFi coverage you could experiment with WiFi/'Standard' setup, and dispense with the BRIDGE. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209
A not quite perfect test, but potentially still informative, would be to connect one of your Play speakers to the router for an experimental period, in place of the Bridge. Ideally use the one currently furthest from your router.