Boost and App

• 22 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Question: Does the Sonos Boost work for increasing App reception or is it just for speakers. Here is my issue: My wifi system does have an extender installed. However while I am on my Patio my WiFi connection for the Sonos App does not function that well. I realize this is due to a weaker WiFi signal, my hope is to increase my app response with the Boost...since it goes through walls and ceilings.

Please advise

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you have an Android phone/tablet it can be configured to connect directly to the nearest Sonos component using SonosNet. The system has to be operating in 'BOOST setup', i.e. with at least one component wired to the network. This needn't be a BOOST; it can be any Sonos device.

To address your question specifically: BOOST extends the SonosNet mesh, it's not a general purpose WiFi repeater.
I have heard of some people connecting to their sonos network instead of their normal wifi network. Not sure you can then use the sonos app under that scenario. I'd be doubtful if other apps that need a connection will work under that scenario as well.

The better solution would be to improve your wifi. It will cost a bit more, but there are router systems like Orbi, Velop, google wifi that uses a base/satellite system instead of extenders to give you a much stronger wifi system. I got the orbi and all my patio coverage issues disappeared.
I have heard of some people connecting to their sonos network instead of their normal wifi network. Not sure you can then use the sonos app under that scenario. I'd be doubtful if other apps that need a connection will work under that scenario as well.
The SonosNet connection option for Android is app-agnostic. It's just another SSID to connect to. One has to be careful not to make bandwidth-hungry downloads across SonosNet when playing music, and the maximum throughput is not much more than 10Mbps.

For those using Apple devices, which are unable to connect directly to SonosNet, a simple solution is to wire a small Access Point to the nearest Sonos device. SonosNet will then be used for the 'backhaul'.