Best setup for large room with open space area

• 19 April 2024
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I’m looking to create a Sonos sound system for my large open space area: living + dining + kitchen. The main purpose we want to use the system for is listening to music and occasionally movies.

The main area where we want the sound to excel is the living area, on the couch, but we also want good sound quality in the dining area. Sound quality in the kitchen I believe is not so important (correct me if I’m wrong) because you have noise when you’re cooking anyway, so just hearing the music is enough.

Since we’re not watching movies too often, we think we don’t need a Sonos Arc, but I might be wrong. We’ve been impressed with the sound quality of Era 300, but we’re not sure how to place the speakers for optimal sound quality:

1. We were thinking about mounting 2 Era 300 on the walls on the left and on the right of the dining table, swiveled towards the couch. My main concerns are the angle and the distance which is over 3 meters (10ft). 
  2. Would placing 2 Era 300 on the TV wall be a good idea?
  3. Other ideas?

If we can’t find a good placement for 2 Era 300 in order to benefit from their sound quality of dolby atmos, then maybe it’s not worth using Era 300. Maybe in this context 2 Era 100 will work as good as 2 Era 300, taking the placement into consideration.

I’m open to any suggestions that you might have for what Sonos speakers to use and where to place them. We’re trying to find out the best option that we have, and we’re not constrained by the budget. Perhaps there are Sonos speakers that we haven’t considered that might work better for our space, like the in-ceiling ones, although I think those don’t have the same sound quality.

Any suggestions on this setup? What speakers should I get and where to place them?

1 reply

My major concern with sound quality is that this area will be too “live”. Adding heavy drapes and some carpet will help.

For best music audio quality I recommend floor standing speakers near the music TV and three pairs of ceiling speakers to cover the other areas. You could arrange for TV surround sound in the seating area, but not ATMOS. In any case you will encounter an annoying delay if you attempt to include TV sound in the kitchen and dining areas. Music over the whole area will be fine.

Why so many speakers? This will give you more even coverage, especially because the room will be too “live” and you’ll be able to adjust the kitchen area speakers to accommodate cooking noises.