Best Set-up for Living/Entertaining Room, Big Impact.

• 6 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello.

Fairly new to Sonos, have a Pay 5 & 1 currently. Moved to a new house, medium sized living/kitchen entertaining area. 

I’m looking for a decent set up for streaming and line-in via turntable. My original thought is 

x2 Play 5s

x1 Play 1 in the kitchen area. 

Not sure if this set up would be much enhanced with a subwoofer? Or if x4 Sonos 5s is a better way to go? or both. 

I’m moving Sonos 5s to stands to reduce any vibrations, especially when playing from turntable. 

I’m essentially an idiot Musically/Sonically/Generally, but I like loud and like to think I can tell the difference in quality set ups. 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

WA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Two Play:5s for a medium-sized living room and two Ones for a medium-sized kitchen should be sufficient. The two Play:5s should produce enough bass where a Sub wouldn’t be needed. I would test out this four-speaker setup first. You can always add a Sub or more speakers later.

Tip: You can save some money if you pair a One SL to your current One instead of purchasing another One.

Two Play:5s for a medium-sized living room and two Ones for a medium-sized kitchen should be sufficient. The two Play:5s should produce enough bass where a Sub wouldn’t be needed. I would test out this four-speaker setup first. You can always add a Sub or more speakers later.

Tip: You can save some money if you pair a One SL to your current One instead of purchasing another One.

Hero! Thank you. I like that idea. I’ll add an SL and another 5, give it a go and see how it sounds. Cheers! 

I’m going to disagree with this a bit.  While a pair  5s sound pretty good, and a sub is a big improvement in my experience.  So add a sub if it fits your budget.    And since your kitchen/living is all one space, you may not need anything but the Fives, depending on your layout.  I have a pair of play:3s in my kitchen, and they really aren’t needed with the Fives and sub one room over.  The only reason the play:3s are still there is I don’t have another room where they would get more use.  If it comes down to a pair in the kitchen or a sub, I would get the sub.

I’m going to disagree with this a bit.  While a pair  5s sound pretty good, and a sub is a big improvement in my experience.  So add a sub if it fits your budget.    And since your kitchen/living is all one space, you may not need anything but the Fives, depending on your layout.  I have a pair of play:3s in my kitchen, and they really aren’t needed with the Fives and sub one room over.  The only reason the play:3s are still there is I don’t have another room where they would get more use.  If it comes down to a pair in the kitchen or a sub, I would get the sub.

Hmmm… okay, definitely good to know. Is there a way to try before you buy I wonder? As in, purchase a sub along with the others and if I don't feel it necessary, return it? But perhaps his would invalidate the return, not sure. Appreciate the help with this, thank you. 

Is there a way to try before you buy I wonder? As in, purchase a sub along with the others and if I don't feel it necessary, return it? But perhaps his would invalidate the return, not sure. 

Look for a place where this is offered - there are many parts of the world where this is a standard Sonos practice and this is the best way to get the right kit - by listening to it, in the home, with music that you like, and then keeping what works best.

I would start with a 5 pair + Sub for the main listening area and some One units in other parts of the space. By getting all to play as one group when needed, you can solve the problem of music having to be too loud in one part of the space to be well heard on the other side. Again, how many One units is something to test and decide, using the returns policy.

Is there a way to try before you buy I wonder? As in, purchase a sub along with the others and if I don't feel it necessary, return it? But perhaps his would invalidate the return, not sure. 

Look for a place where this is offered - there are many parts of the world where this is a standard Sonos practice and this is the best way to get the right kit - by listening to it, in the home, with music that you like, and then keeping what works best.

I would start with a 5 pair + Sub for the main listening area and some One units in other parts of the space. By getting all to play as one group when needed, you can solve the problem of music having to be too loud in one part of the space to be well heard on the other side. Again, how many One units is something to test and decide, using the returns policy.

Yeah, this seems ideal. I’ll get in touch with Sonos and check this is all okay with them. May get in a soundbar, sub and 1s for the tv room too :) Thank you