Best music setup for my equipment

• 15 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Yes, I know this question is asked a lot but I’m asking it again.  I currently have an Arc +  Sub.  Love it.  For music, I have a five that I usually play along with the Arc + Sub.  Hate it.  Obviously this is not a stereo pair and it does not do justice to music listening.  I’m contemplating buying another Five and only using the 2 Fives as a stereo pair with no sub.  Or do I remove the sub from the Arc and use with the Fives?  I really wish I could use the sub interchangeably with the Arc and Fives...but sigh.  Thoughts?

cheers

J

7 replies

Userlevel 7

I would add another Five and just use the pair of Fives for music while keeping the Sub bonded with the Arc. OR add another Five and use them as surrounds with the Arc + Sub. This setup sounds great when watching movies or listening to music (especially in Dolby Atmos). And if you set the Music Playback setting under Surround Audio to FULL, you will get full stereo playback from the Fives when streaming music to the Arc + Sub.

My thoughts

1. A pair of Fives needs a Sub less than an Arc does. A pair of Fives sounds great  for music.  The Sub still helps of course.

2. You can switch the Sub between Arc and Fives. But it is not instantaneous and probably never can be because of the reconfiguration needed. So there is no point sighing.

I hope that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes, I know this question is asked a lot but I’m asking it again.  I currently have an Arc +  Sub.  Love it.  For music, I have a five that I usually play along with the Arc + Sub.  Hate it.  Obviously this is not a stereo pair and it does not do justice to music listening.  I’m contemplating buying another Five and only using the 2 Fives as a stereo pair with no sub.  Or do I remove the sub from the Arc and use with the Fives?  I really wish I could use the sub interchangeably with the Arc and Fives...but sigh.  Thoughts?

cheers

J

Sonos offers home trials in most regions, so buy-and-try. Once you have the second Five you can try it with and without the Sub and decide for yourself. 

If you set the Fives as surround speakers you might find it odd to hear the music coming from behind the listening position, but may then get used to it. Otherwise set the Fives as “Music” or suchlike roomname and position them as conventional stereo speakers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I wouldn’t rule out a pair of Ones and a Sub or mini-Sub in a small room as a music option.

Move the Five to another room.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

1. A pair of Fives needs a Sub less than an Arc does. A pair of Fives sounds great  for music. 

This. You want your arc be bonded with a sub. Trust, it’s best for cinema.

I actually tried two Fives with Sub and preferred without it.

1. A pair of Fives needs a Sub less than an Arc does. A pair of Fives sounds great  for music. 

This. You want your arc be bonded with a sub. Trust, it’s best for cinema.

I actually tried two Fives with Sub and preferred without it.

Doesn’t one have the ability to set the sub levels and or crossover points to fine tune the sub to the 5’s?  To say “I prefer the 5’s without the sub should only mean that the levels aren't balanced correctly, not the music doesn't benefit from the inclusion of those lower frequencies.   I’ve never heard music that ”sounded better” without a sub when tuned and level balanced to your ear and the room.

No, Sonos does not provide any interface by which you can alter the crossover frequencies. They do provide a volume slider. Since the Sub can only be bonded with other Sonos devices, the crossovers are pre-programmed, depending on which Sonos device the Sub is bonded with.