Answered

Best isolating stand for Sonos Sub

• 6 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi guys,

I’ve recently bought a sub to complete my front room 5.1 setup.

I love the sound - the neighbours will hate it.

I’m looking for options to minimise sound from Sub transferring through floor down into my neighbours apartment… whilst maintaining a decent aesthetic.

Open to wall mounting, or putting the sub on a stand… has anyone had any luck with this?

Cheers, Jonny 

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 March 2020, 09:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It probably wouldn’t help with the neighbours. As a result of the dual opposed drive unit arrangement, Sub doesn’t actually vibrate. Put your hand on the top whilst it’s working to see for yourself.

Also, check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJu03Whjm_c at around the 0:30 mark for the stack of glasses sitting unperturbed on the top whilst the Sub is busy.

It’ll be the actual bass in the room which gets through the floor, and Sub is rather effective at pressurising the room…

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Ratty is correct.  However I have my sub on a wall bracket, mainly to aid cleaning and it looks tidier.

It’ll be the actual bass in the room which gets through the floor, and Sub is rather effective at pressurising the room…

And almost all domestic listening rooms will pass that effect on to neighbours, depending on how close/far they are. One solution is to go downstairs when the Sub is working and agree on what levels are acceptable, including timings. I would do that before finding places to mount the Sub.

Userlevel 7

@jonnydentuk 

You can type the key phrase “Subwoofer Mat” in your browser and you’ll get several hits of products that minimize sound vibrations through a floor. However, as others have said it’s not the Sonos Sub but the overall spatial effect of the low-end.

To adequately reduce sound traveling through a floor you’d need to cover the entire area. However, anything is worth a try but as has been suggested you’ll need to confer with your downstairs neighbor to know if the mat has any noticeable affect.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Many of the expensive mats do little more than a square of thick carpet under the sub.

Shop where you can return it if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

Thanks all - I appreciate the quick responses here.

I’ll run some tests in terms of placement x annoyance level. Nice idea to ask the neighbour - just hope answer’s not volume level 1 :dizzy_face:

Cheers, Jonny

Badge

I’ve got the Flexson wall mount for the same reason and it definitely works… did lose a bit of ‘thump’ but the bass now feels more ‘genuine’ without the vibrations