Question

Best configuration for satellites and sub

• 19 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge
Hi everyone,

For reference, my post is related only to listening to music.

I picked up a Play 3 today, mostly to explore the Sonos eco-system and gauge the quality of the product line. I am very impressed with the software/interface/capabilities of the Sonos systems.In fact, I am sold alone on the technical aspects of a Sonos system. I figured that if liked it, I intended to reuse the Play 3 for a small room, and spec out a solution for our living room/dining room area. This is the main area that I sit and listen to music. I should add, I dont have music just playing in the backgroud; one of my hobbies is sitting and listening to music for hours.

I have been a long fan of speaker systems that separate the highs and lows into dedicate speakers (satellite and sub style setups). For my ear, these deliver the sound quality I am fond of. So, for my living room, I am debating whether I would be best suited by two Play 1's (plus sub) or two Play 3's (plus sub). I can very much appreciate the mid tones that the Play 3 is delivering and think it would be a fine choice as the satellite speakers. On the down side, they take up more space (space is probably of more value than cost difference between the two products) and if I am not mistaken, the Play 3 is the oldest in terms of recent updates. On the other hand, my unfounded reservation of the Play 1's is that there will be an noticeable "gap" in the range between the satellites and the sub. Of course, much of this dependent on the crossover settings on the sub and mid range capabilities of the Play 1.

I must apologize for three things about this post:
1) I searched high and low for previous posts on this and while there is some discussion on these products, I wasn't able to gather anything close to a solid opinion on this. Often peoples personal setups/intended use was different from my intended use.
2) I know, personal preferences are vastly different. Just because you may feel strongly to one of the solutions, I don't have any unreasonable expectation that your experience is the same as mine. And I am very ok with this! My hope is just to hear details about your experience and how they relate (or conflict) with my goals.
3) I know the best way to answer this would be to hear the Play 1 and the Sub in person. Unfortunately this isn't an option. (although I do know about the 60 day return policy with Sonos).

A huge thanks in advance for you comments, thoughts and sharing of your experience. I welcome hearing details about your setups, your music specifics, and physical environments that have led you to love, like, regret or replace your Sonos purchases.

Cheers,
glueslug

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

A pair of Play:1s and a Sub are a killer combo. No gaps in the sound. No need for anything more expensive than that.
A pair of Play:1s and a Sub are a killer combo. No gaps in the sound. No need for anything more expensive than that.
From a lot of personal experience I support this fully; I have said this many times on this forum, but the search feature here sucks unfortunately.
Using the 1 pair + Sub has made me a convert in general to a satellite+Sub set up for the best sound quality for music, and at its price point, the 1 pair + Sub can't be beat!
If you want to spend more, do the 5 pair + Sub. The 3 pair + Sub is a halfway house with the typical problems of a halfway house.
My tips on placement: Place the 1 units with care, on decent stands of the kind that Flexson sells. Very functional and very good looking. And place the Sub between the left/right speakers in the same plane. Center is ideal, but not a must. A little offset to either side of center is just as good too.
Badge
From a lot of personal experience I support this fully; I have said this many times on this forum, but the search feature here sucks unfortunately.
Using the 1 pair + Sub has made me a convert in general to a satellite+Sub set up for the best sound quality for music, and at its price point, the 1 pair + Sub can't be beat!
If you want to spend more, do the 5 pair + Sub. The 3 pair + Sub is a halfway house with the typical problems of a halfway house.
My tips on placement: Place the 1 units with care, on decent stands of the kind that Flexson sells. Very functional and very good looking. And place the Sub between the left/right speakers in the same plane. Center is ideal, but not a must. A little offset to either side of center is just as good too.

Wow! What a great a response. Thank you! I really appreciate the details of your setup, location/w sub specs and stand specifics. Much appreciated!
Pleasure, and enjoy the music asap! Remember to true play tune the set up, once you have done your best for speaker+Sub placement, for the final layer of icing on the cake.