Beam to replace Connect and Yamaha sound bar/sub?

• 8 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

I currently have a Connect as input to a Yamaha sound bar w/ sub with a Samsung TV. I’m thinking of replacing the Connect and Yamaha with a Beam. That means I have two fewer things to plug in and take up space in my small den. I thought I’d use the Connect to feed music to the Yamaha system but I just never do.

I will keep my two paired Play:5’s in my kitchen and a Play:3 in my home office. Those are on WIFI.

My Connect is connected to my router via ethernet and would do the same with the Beam. My TV has ARC. I don’t really think I’ll miss my current sub. I’m really after better voice clarity on TV (sucks to get old!).

My question….Is this all a seamless setup...Beam, 5’s and 3? Does having the Beam on ethernet buy me anything?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It’s all seamless, and if you feed the Beam a Dolby Digital signal, it will sound much better than the stereo you currently get from the CONNECT. 

Buy you anything? Not specifically, but it may be a good central device creating the SonosNet signal for the rest of the devices, But if they’re currently all connected to Wi-Fi, there wouldn’t be any real reason to connect the Beam with a cable. Frankly, whichever way works for you. 

I suspect the other speakers are not connecting to Wifi, but to SonosNet, as the Connect is wired.  I think it would be best to wire the Beam in place of the Connect.

To do this, add the Beam as a wireless device before you disconnect the Connect.  Once the Beam has been added and is operating OK you can switch the cable from the Connect to the Beam and power off the Connect.  Give the system a few minutes to reconfigure.  All should be well, but if not then a power cycle of your router and your Sonos speakers should sort it.