Question

Arc soundbar

Badge

Will I be able to experience the full Dolby Atmos sound with my 65” LG SK8000 PUA TV with the Arc soundbar?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Have you checked the TV’s manual, to see if it passes either Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD via ARC or eARC?

Badge

Not really I just know that it’s Dolby Atmos compatible. I currently have the Sony HT-8500 soundbar and I’m able to get Dolby Atmos with it when I stream Netflix, Apple TV + and Disney plus with it. I recently pre ordered the Arc and I just want to make sure that I will be able to get the full Atmos surround sound.

Badge

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you provide a link to the manual, please? Your term “full Atmos” is unclear, do you mean HDMI ARC Atmos, or TrueHD Atmos? The manual link would provide that information. 

Badge

I don’t really know too much about these setups which is why I’m reaching out to this forum hoping to get some help from the enthusiasts on here. Your help will be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Right. I’d be happy to help you in reading the manual, if you can post a link to it. 

Badge

https://www.lg.com/us/support/manuals-documents?customerModelCode=65SK8000PUA&csSalesCode=65SK8000PUA.AUS&category=CT10000018&subcategory=CT30017665

Based on what I see, and this manual is incredibly unclear, the connection is only HDMI-ARC, not eARC. But it seems to not claim to pass Dolby Digital Plus, just Dolby Digital and DTS, which means no passing of Atmos content to a Sonos device.

Your best bet would be to contact LG and ask them if it will pass a Dolby Digital Plus signal through HDMI ARC.

Badge

By full Atmos I mean a true Atmos experience.

Badge

I also have a Apple TV 4K. Would that help solve the issue and if so how?

There are two ‘versions’ of Atmos, one that’s transported by Dolby Digital Plus, another by TrueHD. Both are true Atmos, just different types. It’s unlikely, in my uninformed opinion, that you’ll be able to hear the difference between the two when using a sound bar, whether it’s a Sonos sound bar, or another company. I suspect you’d need a full blown system with many speakers to hear the difference. 

TrueHD does require eARC, which your TV does not have. 

Badge

I would be totally content with the Dolby Digital Plus version. I just need to know if my 📺 has that.

As I indicated, it’s not explicitly stated in the manual, you’d need to contact LG. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is a lot of detail on https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sk8000 and it says that Atmos is only provided over DD+.

Badge

How does Atmos True HD differ from DD+
Does that mean my Tv 📺 will at least be able to play Atmos over DD+ since it supports DD+?

How does Atmos True HD differ from DD+
Does that mean my Tv 📺 will at least be able to play Atmos over DD+ since it supports DD+?

TrueHD is lossless, DD+ is lossy, but not as lossy as regular DD.  You should be able to get Atmos from your TV, but only the manufacturer can tell you with certainty.

Badge

Ratings.com says that my tv 📺 supports DD+ so I should be good to go but I will definitely be reaching out to Lg to confirm tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ratings.com says that my tv 📺 supports DD+ so I should be good to go but I will definitely be reaching out to Lg to confirm tomorrow.

What is your actual source? ie what is providing the Atmos audio? That will also affect whether you will be able to hear it on the Sonos Arc.

Badge

I suppose my TV 📺 is being that it’s Dolby Atmos compatible.

Badge

I’m able to stream Atmos now with my Sony soundbar.