Answered

Another Upgrade Scheme Question

• 14 December 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yeah I know.

Looking at upgrading a chunk of hardware. My understanding of S2 (as opposed to S1) is the main benefits I would get are:

• SMBv3 support
  • Hi-Res/HD (which I’m not likely to use)
  • A platform that is mostly the same as S1 but works
  • A chunk of new hardware replacing 16-year old hardware, including warranty
  • Potential of S2 platform development over standing still
As I would be upgrading from v8.4 I would lose 3 CR100s but regain Spotify streaming.

Mandatory Upgrades
I have 4 ZP100s, A ZP80 & a Play 5 that would need upgrading to support S2, all of which are eligible for 30% discount. And cost me £2,585.

Optional Upgrades
I also have 5 Play1s, a Playbar and a Sub that are all Gen1 but are S2 compatible to my knowledge. To upgrade these to the latest they are eligible for a 15% discount. This would cost me a further £2,246. (There aren’t any multi-Amp packages so I can’t double down on the 30% discount but it would make more sense to order arc/sub/one with 30% off and pay list on an Amp). I’ll jiggle the packages to suit.

New Equipment
I have a second hand ZP100 coming to allow me to have two zones for Master Bed/Bath which is currently split with a speaker splitter. So I’d probably upgrade that as well. It has its 30% code available (Its from family but they don’t use it).
I may as well chuck in a Move - because if I’m spending this sort of money why not.
And a Five for the hall, as I can use the Play5 30% discount against a pair off Fives (a FIVE for £350 seems worthwhile).
And a new Play1 for the youngest child because ti can come as a pair, ergo 15% off.
That adds another £1,237 
Total Cost £6,070

Questions:

Is there any point upgrading the optional equipment. Other than the 15% discount I guess it comes down to:

• Is a Gen3 Sub much better than a Gen1
  • Is an Arc a worthwhile upgrade over Playbar (its in the kids hangout room). The main lounge cinema system is way better. And if the Arc doesn’t fit the Beam seems a waste of time.
  • Are the ONEs noticeably better than the Play1s

2 of the Play1s are in the gym, it has a TV would I be better buying an arc although 70% of the time it is music, the TV is a recent addition and not used much (sport)

Cheers
Dave
icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 December 2021, 18:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Is a Gen 3 Sub much better than a Gen 1?

There is no noticeable difference in sound between a Gen 1 and a Gen 3 Sub. The only differences are cosmetic and upgraded internals. The Gen 3 also allows you to add a second Sub to a home theater setup.

Is an Arc a worthwhile upgrade over Playbar?

The Arc is a worthwhile upgrade especially if you plan on using it to play Dolby Atmos audio or if you watch Blu-rays. Ideally you want to connect it to a TV equipped with HDMI eARC so you can play lossless audio codecs through the Arc. If your TV only has HDMI ARC, it may or may not be able to pass through Dolby Atmos audio from streaming apps, and it will not be able to pass through lossless audio like Dolby TrueHD or multichannel PCM that you get from Blu-ray discs.

Are the ONEs noticeably better than the Play:1s?

There is no difference in sound between the Play:1 and One. The only differences are cosmetic, upgraded internals, and the One has a built-in microphone to use a voice assistant. The Play:1 also cannot play hi-res music from streaming apps like Amazon Music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Ok thanks Rashi - good info.

There is probably a dot or a show kicking around in most of the places with Play1s. I can live without HiRes (full stop) in places with Play1s  

Sub - not adding a second sub for the kids hangout. If they want a system as good as the lounge, they can go in the lounge. 

The Arc. Possibly worth considering but will check TV specs. It’s a 40inch TV. And we have had a 55inch TV and an 80inch TV since it graced the lounge, I’ll check it’s specs but probably too old. So they can keep the Playbar. Main feed is SkyQ whether watching Sky, Netflix or Prime. 

So that’s knocked £2,246 off the bill.

Cheers

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Right, thats the upgrade ordered. S2 here we come. 

• 5 Amps
  • 1 Port
  • 2* Fives (Hifi Set)
  • Arc & Move (2-Room Set)

Even with 30% discount its a bit ouchy. But heck I have been running Sonos for 16-years (2005). If I added up previous costs and amortised over 16-years then its been a bargain. I just don’t see that the current kit will last 10-years but possibly just buyers remorse. (mainly competition, lack of identity from Sonos, and its lost the control/system aspect, I suspect we will mainly use Spotify App at which point hardware may become commoditised and irrelevant)

I’ll likely leave the core system intact and register all the new devices to our test household (1 Play and a 2*2nd hand Connect). 

I’ll effectively leave the Old Connects and the CR100s on 8.4. (Anyone want 4*ZP100s, 1*ZP80, and 3*CR100 on 8.4). And factory reset Playbar, sub and 5 *Play1s and shift to new test household.

This will give us 5*Amps, 1*Port, 2*Fives, Arc, Playbar, Sub, 5*Play1s, & a Move - Should be enough to get the party started. ( Might even rejoin the beta program).

***Waits by door for panel delivery***

Dave