Amplifier & Speaker Selector

• 13 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Dear All,

I would like to have your advice and solution proposal for the below case.

I would like to purchase appropriate Amplifier, Speaker Selector and set of Speakers.

The existing equipment I have and want to keep using is the following:
1.    Eight (8) ceiling speakers marked as yellow circles (check attached layout image). The model is “Artsound HAPPI, model HPRO 525”, System: 2-way coaxial, Frequency range: 60Hz - 20kHz, Amp power: 10 - 100W (recommended), Sensitivity: 88dB, Impedance: 8Ω
https://www.artsound.be/en/speakers/inwall-loudspeakers/happi/78-hpro525
2.    All speaker’s cabling are concentrated at the concentration point marked with the red square.
3.    A Sony TV and Network switch to connect via Ethernet to the Router -> Internet

I would like to:
1.    Play music (select audio files or radio) from PC or Mobile phone and stream to the speakers
2.    Select from PC or Mobile phone the group of Speakers to stream the audio (Speaker Selector from 1 up to 3 speaker groups, Room A-B-C).
3.    Optional: Stream the TV sound to the speakers of “Room A” only.

I appreciate if you can suggest: 
1.    Appropriate Amplifier 
2.    Appropriate Speaker Selector
3.    Optional: Set of new 2 Speakers (wireless or cable) for “Room A” that could either be used solely or supplement the ceiling speakers in “Room A”. 

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Michael Kotras

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mkotras 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your post seems to be missing a picture?

I’ll give it a go anyway…

I appreciate if you can suggest: 
1.    Appropriate Amplifier 
2.    Appropriate Speaker Selector
3.    Optional: Set of new 2 Speakers (wireless or cable) for “Room A” that could either be used solely or supplement the ceiling speakers in “Room A”. 

1. Sonos Amp - you’ll need one Amp for each individually controllable zone you want, and each Amp can be connected to up to two pairs of 8Ω speakers.
  2. OK, this I can’t recommend - perhaps someone in the community will be able to help you here.
  3. If you want passive speakers to be connected to another Amp, I can only recommend the in-wall or in-ceiling speakers made specifically for Amp by Sonance. If you want stand-alone units that need not be wired to anything else, that could be the Era 100s, Era 300s or Fives. The Era 300s can deliver spatial audio (Atmos music) from supported services (Amazon Music and Apple Music). You can bond any two identical speakers as a stereo pair, and bond Sub to a single speaker or a pair if extra bass is needed

I would like to:
1.    Play music (select audio files or radio) from PC or Mobile phone and stream to the speakers
2.    Select from PC or Mobile phone the group of Speakers to stream the audio (Speaker Selector from 1 up to 3 speaker groups, Room A-B-C).
3.    Optional: Stream the TV sound to the speakers of “Room A” only.

1. You can play music stored on a PC - just add the network path to Sonos, or let the PC app set things up for you. You can only play music stored on an iPhone by using AirPlay, which utilises the network, or Bluetooth with compatible speakers (the Era models mentioned above). With Android, you need to use Bluetooth or a third-party app that supports playing to networked players. You can of course use a mobile phone to instruct the speakers/Amps to play other sources (such as streaming services) that the speakers can access directly.
  2. The only way you can specify which set of speakers to be used from within the Sonos app is if you have a separate Amp for each zone. If you use speaker selectors between the Amps and the speakers, you will need to use those selectors to select the zones.
  3. I’m not sure if room A is the room with the TV or not. Streaming TV audio to a different room is not officially supported but on a healthy network it can work, though there will likely be a short delay; as the device connected to the TV needs to play immediately to stay in sync with the picture, there is no opportunity to buffer the audio feed for other players - audio interruptions can occur. If room A does have the TV, you can connect an Amp to the TV via HDMI. Otherwise, I recommend the use of a Sonos sound bar like Ray, Beam or Arc. For the best results, combine Arc, 2x Era 300s and (1x or 2x) Sub for 7.1.4 Atmos playback.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate.