Answered

Amp or Port

• 5 March 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a home surround sound system (non-sonos) in my theater room.  I want to tie it into my Sonos eco-system.  I believe the Port and Amp will achieve this.  In the future I want to get an amp for my front and center speakers.  Can I kill 2 birds with one stone with the amp?  If so, is the amp a good choice for my front speakers?      

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 March 2021, 21:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It depends on what you mean by ‘tie in’. For instance, a Port would be a great way of getting Sonos streaming music to a line in on your current system. The Sonos Amp does not have a line level analog output.  

But no, you couldn’t use your current speakers as surrounds if you use a Sonos Amp to drive the front of a home theater system. Like with most home theater systems, Sonos doesn’t really allow ‘mix and match’ with other systems, the closest they get is allowing you to use your own pair of front speakers and a sub with the Sonos Amp, but for surrounds, they require Sonos speakers. 

Ok so it sounds like I should go with a Port to use my theater stereo for Sonos streaming.  Thank you.