Advice: Sub + 4 Ones OR Sub + 2 Fives?

• 14 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I've got an open, 15ft x 30ft kitchen & living room with concrete floors and high ceilings. I'm only going to be using the speakers for music and I'm wondering if its better to have with the sub in the middle:

1) 4 Sonos Ones placed in the corners (ish) of the rooms

OR

2) Two Fives placed either at both ends of the room, or in the center.

I already tried the Sub + Two Fives and it sounds amazing. I'm hoping I can save some money and have better sound dispersion by switching as it seems the Fives, as good as they are, may be overkill for that space. If it matters, I mostly listen to electronic music and what I call "90s adult contemporary"

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

For better audio dispersion, the four Sonos Ones would be the better option. But for the best overall sound, the two Fives in the center is the best option.

The fives will not be overkill, but will suffer the problem of having to be too loud where they are kept, to be adequately heard at the other end of the space.

The other advantage of a Sub + One units is that the latter have more of a gap for the Sub to fill in, making it more value for money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

With the four speaker setup you have real problems with the stereo imaging, only good solution is to go to mono. I really don’t like the dead feeling mono has to my ears.