Answered

Adding one Airplay 2 speaker to a system

• 13 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, I’m trying to get over 2 issues of the lack of AP2 on my existing system.

I have the following setup:

room 1 - 1 x Play:1

room 2 - 1 x Play:1

room 3 - 2 x Play:1 (stereo)

room 4 - 1 x Connect

1) i’m thinking of buying one more (I really didn’t want to have to do this!) Speaker - Sonos 1SL, adding this to the system and grouping this to all the non AP products.

Will this allow me to play music from IOS devices? I believe so….but if one device is playing via AP in room 1, will this allow another person to stream via a NAS for instance in room 2?

2) will adding this AP device to my system allow you to stream BBC sounds from an IOS device? - due to The BBC falling out with Tunein!

thanks for any advice in advance

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 December 2020, 20:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

1. Yes, adding a Sonos One SL will allow you to AirPlay 2 to that speaker, and then you can group that speaker’s ‘room’ with any other Sonos ‘room’ to get the AirPlay 2 signal to play in those ‘rooms’. Other rooms can continue to be used as normal. 
  2. If the BBC sounds app supports AirPlay 2, yes, that should work. 
Badge

looks like an SL would do the trick, thanks Bruce

Badge

So now have a new Sonos 1 SL added to my system.

can I check two things please.…

1. am I correct in saying a Sonos1 cannot be stereo paired with a play 1?
  2. If you want to use AP from an iPhone to connect to the Sonos 1 then pair the Sonos 1 with a play 1 to play your IPhone in another room, does this mean the Sonos 1 has to be turned down and cannot be used by any other device?

thanks

1. Correct, you can not pair a Sonos One with a PLAY:1.
  2. Assuming AP is AirPlay 2, then yes, the target device, the Sonos One, must be ‘active’ on the stream, but can be turned down. 

Note, there is no Sonos 1. Only a Sonos One, and a Sonos PLAY:1.