Answered

Adding a sub

• 9 December 2020
  • 2 replies

I’ve just added surrounds to my Playbar and noticed that on most channels they don’t work. Upon checking on my system the Playbar is receiving PCM 2.0, channel 5HD seems to broadcast PCM 5.1 as do the movie channels and Netflix and then of course they work fine . My question is does the sub need a 5.1 feed or will it work on a 2.0 signal? Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 December 2020, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The .1 is the sub channel. So a 5.1 signal will work fine if the hardware is a 5.1 or 5.0 one ( ie with or without a sub). You need to check that (a) your tv is tuned to a station that is transmitting a 5.x Dolby Digital signal (not DTS); and (b) your tv is outputting a DD signal to your Playbar.

I’ve just added surrounds to my Playbar and noticed that on most channels they don’t work. Upon checking on my system the Playbar is receiving PCM 2.0, channel 5HD seems to broadcast PCM 5.1 as do the movie channels and Netflix and then of course they work fine . My question is does the sub need a 5.1 feed or will it work on a 2.0 signal? Thanks in advance 

Many of the U.K. terrestrial channels are PCM 2.0 and the other channels/Apps you mention are often 5.1, so your setup is working correctly.  You often only get the rear channels and sub working with 5.1 Dolby audio, though some Dolby 2.0 Pro Logic II audio encoded programmes may send audio to the rear channels too. The sub makes a huge difference to TV 5.1 audio and of course music audio too.