Adding a Sonos SUB to HIFI speakers and the NEW Sonos Amp.

• 4 December 2018
  • 5 replies

HI

I am planning on purchasing the New Sonos Amp next year to replace my existing Marantz amp, Sonos connect + dac to stream line it all and hopefully give me a better home theatre in exchange. I currently have the above set up with two Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers. I use this system for listening to music and also to play my TV audio as well.

My Question is:

I want to improve my TV audio and the new amp has hdmi arc so I want to turn my system into 4.1 by adding a Sonos Sub as well as use 2 play 1s as surrounds speakers (which I currently own). Will they all pair up with my bookshelf speakers and will the system sound good? Or is it better to buy a matching monitor audio sub? I prefer the idea of Sonos Sub as its wireless.

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No need to match Sub with speakers, they are playing completely different frequencies.
Thanks, that's good to know. What are your thoughts on mixing 2x play 1s (rear surround) and 2 x bookshelf speakers with Sub to create a 4.1 with the new amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Should sound terrific (of course as long as decent bookshelf speakers).

Technically then its 4.1 (pseudo 5.1)

I don't have surrounds currently but utilizing B&W bookshelf speakers and B&W sub and it is excellent with the new Sonos Amp (music and TV/movies)
Badge
Depends if you already have a center channel speaker, If you do then 4.1 will not likely cut it as providing a phantom center can never be as good as a real discrete center. If you aren't used to it than you won't miss is and like other folks have said, if your bookshelf speaker are decent then it will be an improvement for sure. I have play 1s as rears with a Beam and Sub and could not be happier. I am used to full size speakers and I am amazed at how well it does in comparison, especially the sub. Musically it is has a great balance between subtlety and power and theatrically it shakes far more than it should ever be capable of for its weight and size!
Badge
If Sonos is reading this, guys please make it so we can add a center channel to this absolutely amazing new amp! Wireless or not.

That’s interesting you would ask this as I have done the exact same thing and have the exact same set up right down to the monitor audio bookshelf speakers. So first and foremost it sounds absolutely phenomenal and has more power than I could ever imagine wanting or needing. At about 1/3 the volume I’m shaking the entire house

There is also a simple button on the Sonos app that allows the audio to come through a lot more clear

My monitor audio speakers have ribbon tweeters, so I would say the audio is pretty clear already

However, when I had the mess of wires and cables and all the nonsense with a full 5.1 channel receiver etc. and simply had a center channel which was also monitor audio gold, the clarity of the audio was absolutely breathtaking. I think there is a little of that lost with this set up. But I do find that I listen to music more than I watch movies and again the speakers are of such high-quality that it still provides a phenomenal surroundsound experience. I also have the wireless sub and really couldn’t ask for more…
Except that I wish this new amp also supported a center channel. It would be amazing if we can just wirelessly add a beam or sound bar or play base which kicked on for movies, and then was disabled for music