Answered

add play5 to stereo pair

• 14 February 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a gen2 play5. I want to add two play1's in stereo. Will this setup work?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 14 February 2018, 21:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
I have a gen2 play5. I want to add two play1's in stereo. Will this setup work?

You can create a stereo pair with the two Play 1's. However, you cannot Bond them to the Play 5. You'll have to Group them together in the Sonos App and then they will all play the same music with no lag. Just curious...are you wanting the Play 1's in stereo pair to beef-up a dead spot in the room with the Play 5?
I have the play5 already. I wanted to improve the sound with stereo. Two play1's (currently selling 2 for 1) cost less than one play5. It seemed like a good solution.
Userlevel 7
I have the play5 already. I wanted to improve the sound with stereo. Two play1's (currently selling 2 for 1) cost less than one play5. It seemed like a good solution.

Some have said that two Play 1's sound better than a single Play 5 depending upon the room type and the end goal of the user. You might go ahead and purchase the Play 1's and do an A/B comparison against the Play 5. If the Play 1's meet your satisfaction you could move the Play 5 to a different room to expand your music throughout your house.

Another option (assuming you like the Play 1's) in place of a single Play 5 is to consider two Sonos One's with Alexa (meaning you'd return the Play 1's). That solution would give you the ability to control the Play 5 located elsewhere in your home by voice. You'd still have the same option to group all speakers together or not. Of course you're not going to get the deal on the Sonos One's that you got with the Play 1's. FYI...you can't make a stereo pair with a Play1 and a Sonos One. Just another option to consider :8
It’s the Sonos 1 bundle I am referring to.
$349 for the pair
Userlevel 7
Well great! The sound of the Sonos One and Play1 IMO are on par. Although some will say the Sonos One's have a slightly better sound. Either way you have a win/win option that's even better with Sonos One's with Alexa. You can still do the A/B comparison and decide how you want to proceed 🆒