Answered

About Sonos Arc + Samsung tv with ARC, not eARC

• 16 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I have a 2019 Samsung Q70R and am wondering about sound quality if I got a Sonos Arc. Apparently my tv does not have eARC. I currently run a Comcast cable tv + Apple TV + Oppo BluRay player through a Yamaha receiver. I’m trying to minimize things with a move to a soundbar. So, looks like I would get 2-channel stereo from DTS BluRay discs from my Oppo, since the Arc cannot decode DTS, right?

As to my cable box and Apple TV box, since streaming is mostly or all Dolby Digital, would I get full Dolby via the Arc? But, lose Atmos? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 18 November 2020, 23:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @artshotwell.

Thanks for reaching out and for your detailed post, let me help and try to figure this out.

Sonos Arc supports the playback of Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. You can find more information on playing Atmos audio through Arc in our Dolby Atmos article.

Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus codec (DD+). HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.

Upon checking the specs of your Samsung Q70R 2019 TV, it says that it supports Dolby audio, here is the link for reference:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/65--class-q70-qled-smart-4k-uhd-tv--2019--qn65q70rafxza/#specs

You may also verify and check this information directly from the TV manufacturer if it supports Dolby Atmos.

To sum it up, every ingredient in your home theater setup has to support Dolby Atmos, to get Dolby Atmos on Sonos Arc.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Badge +2

Thank you. I had not found your Dolby Atmos article. That clarifies things for me. Samsung had said they would add eARC earlier this year, but it apparently hasn’t happened. Not surprised, considering the pandemic. I’m excited about my new Arc, which is on its way from BestBuy. They seem to be the only place that has any in stock at the moment. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @artshotwell.

Thanks for your response.

I’m glad to hear that we’re able to clarify things out.

Hopefully, you’ll receive the new Arc as soon as possible, and congratulations on having the new Sonos product.

If in any case that you may have questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out,  we are always here to help.

All the best.