A bit confused about Connect configuration with existing 5.1 system

• 6 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge
I am on the brink of entering the Sonos world. Looking to start with a couple Sonos Ones but would also like to Sonos-ify my existing 5.1 receiver which my TV outputs sound to via optical cable.

I have considered replacing my existing 5.1 receiver and speakers with Sonos alternatives but it seems like an expensive option.

So my current plan is to get a Sonos Connect and have both that and the TV outputting to the Sony 5.1 receiver via optical cables. I'm hoping to use some kind of mixing/auto-switching optical Y connector to achieve this.

My primary aim is to be able to play from the same Sonos sources throughout the house. I don't want to play TV stuff throughout the house.

Does this sound like a sensible plan? I have read quite a lot in forums, but still am not entirely sure.

Also, the Connect seems to be about 6 years old now. Might there be a new version around the corner?

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Connect was made just for that purpose. As to whether there is a new version coming, nobody knows.
The Connect will work essentially as a CD player would, feeding stereo music into your AV receiver. Some AV receivers lag the sound because of digital sound processing, and this can mess up sync with other Sonos speakers (if that matters to you). Many receivers have a 'direct' mode that switches off that processing and overcomes the issue.
Badge
Thanks for replies.

The sync does matter to me. Was wondering if Sonos could listen and accommodate for that, but will look out for this "direct mode".

I also don't want to have to manually switch any inputs, when moving between TV & Sonos mode. Has anybody had any experience with an optical audio combiner device? Is there a specific product that works well?
The sync does matter to me. Was wondering if Sonos could listen and accommodate for that I think that's asking the impossible

I also don't want to have to manually switch any inputs, when moving between TV & Sonos mode. Has anybody had any experience with an optical audio combiner device? Is there a specific product that works well?I think you want a digital optical switch rather than a combiner. Most have remote controls so aren't a huge hassle. I used to use a Logitech Harmony programmable remote to set everything in one go. There may be some form of auto-detecting switch out there but I have never looked.