Question

2xPLAY:1’s vs 2xPLAY:3’s with Sonos Beam

• 21 February 2019
  • 5 replies

To date I have 2xPLAY1’s paired with my Beam and a PLAY:5 in the living room altogether, and a PLAY:3 in the bedroom. When watching TV I have sound over both rooms but reduce the volume from the PLAY:5 as I find it a little messy all in one room with the Beam etc. I am thinking of purchasing another PLAY:3, and replacing the 2xPLAY:1’s I currently use with my Beam with 2xPLAY:3’s. Then move the 1’s into the bedroom.

I listen to more music than I watch TV and always crank the 5’s volume above the Beam&1’s (paired) just a little as I love the clarity and the bass it produces. I’m a bit of a bass-head and I’m thinking that by replacing the 1’s with 3’s that the base and overall experience will be improved. The money I will spend on another 3 isn’t the issue, but I’d really like to know whether other people in the community would recommend the upgrade over the 1’s and whether I would notice it against my current set up.

Thanks in advance guys!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mattxbarnes

To date I have 2xPLAY1’s paired with my Beam and a PLAY:5 in the living room altogether, and a PLAY:3 in the bedroom. When watching TV I have sound over both rooms but reduce the volume from the PLAY 5

If I understand your statement correctly you have a Beam with Play 1's x 2 and a Play 5...all Grouped together. Each to their own but if that's the case your setup is unorthodox and I can see why you are lowering the volume on the Play 5. ;)

The correct setup is to Bond the Play 1's to the Beam as surrounds. The Play 5 should not be in the mix at all. If you need more low-end for TV you should invest in a Sonos sub and Bond it to the Beam for a full Home Theater experience. Even without the sub....bonding the Play 1's to the Beam will improve your TV listening experience. Also, if you have or can borrow an iOS device you can use TurePlay via the Sonos App to tune the Beam and Play 1's as surrounds as a unit. TruePlay will only tune multiple speakers that are Bonded together or Paired as a Stereo pair.

For music you should invest in another Play 5 if you want more stereo separation and low-end. However, if you are satisfied with the audio of the Play 5 for music then no need to purchase another Play 5. Although you can Group the Beam and the Play 1's to the Play 5 when playing music...I personally would not unless you just prefer LOUD :8

I'd keep the Play 3 in the bedroom and add another Play 3 and Pair them as s stereo pair.

Note: The Play 3 has been discontinued...so any you see in a store is most likely the last they have and will most likely not receive replacements. So act quickly and buy ASAP. Fyi, Sonos still supports the Play 3 so not to worry if you buy another.

If I've completely misinterpreted your post please let me know with more explanation. Cheers!

Edit:
To date I have 2xPLAY1’s paired with my Beam and a PLAY:5 in the living room altogether

If by paired you meant "Bonded to your Beam the Play 1's should only be functioning as surrounds when watching TV and set to Full via the Sonos App when listening to music. In that way most people find they have plenty of volume but may still lack a low-end without a Sonos Sub in the mix. A Play 5 while it has a good low-end response cannot substitute for a sub.
I think you I may have been a little vague. The Play1’s are paired as surrounds to my Beam already. I only dial down my 5 when watching TV, when listening to music I turn the 5 up for bass and increased clarity. I keep all my rooms grouped constantly as I live alone and have no need to be playing different things in each room. I like my set up currently but wondering if I would notice the difference in switching the 1’s out for 3’s with my beam. My question really relates to whether I will hear increased clarity and bass (only when listening to music) by switching to the 3’s despite having a 5 in the same room. All my speakers are already tuned using TruePlay.

I’ve thought about pairing another 5 for better music quality but with the layout of furniture and with the room itself I don’t really have space. Hence why I am wondering if swapping the 1’s for 3’s may achieve a similar result, baring in mind these will be surrounds with a Beam and have input from a 5 in the same room.

And yes, I LOVE loud and really love the clarity you get from Sonos no matter the volume:D
Userlevel 7
I think you I may have been a little vague.

Hi again...I don't think I was being vague...just a little confused by your wording 😉 To your question about replacing the Play 1's with Play 3's....IMO it's a even split. The additional low-end if any will be only a slight improvement. In fact most will say that the Play 1's equal the Play 3's in sound stage. Therefore my suggestion remains to invest in Sonos sub. You can always buy and try it and if not satisfied return the Sub and go with your original idea (Play 3's for Play 1's).

Cheers!
Typo on my part before I meant that I was being vague not you!!! Sorry for sounding so rude!!

As for what you’ve just said about swapping out the 1’s and the difference I’d notice, that is similar to what I’ve heard previously and was curious to see if anybody else had a different opinion. I think I may have a rethink then.

Glad we got there eventually after all the back and fourth 😃 thank you for your advice!
Userlevel 7
No worries concerning the back n' forth....it's what we do 😉 Glad...you have what you need to make an informed decision. Feel free to come back with more questions. Cheers!