Question

25 x 25 room

• 25 December 2017
  • 16 replies

Have a room a little bit larger than 25x25, say 700+ sq ft and 8’ ceilings. In one quadrant I’ll be purchasing a Playbase for the TV. I set a $600 budget to spend for supporting Sonos speakers so that we can use the room for occasional parties and thus party music with some bass.

Assuming the Playbase handles the bass, this budget surrounded itself cause it’s about what it would take to purchase these options:

1 Play 5
2 Play 3’s
4 Play 1’s

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, sonorbi. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. When it comes to determining what speakers to get, placement is much more important than the number of speakers. Additionally, while filling the room with sound may be ideal, you also want to keep in mind any obstacles or furniture that could impede or negatively affect the sound. We have quite a few topics here in the Community talking about ideal speaker setups to check out.

My best recommendation to get the opinion of the Community is to post a diagram of the room and what you think would work best.

Best of luck!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I have a similar area. I have the Playbar, SUB, 2-Play 1s and 2 Play 5s. I have this set up as a 5.1 system with the Play 5s in a stero pair to the left and right of the tv with the Playbar mounted above the tv. FYI, the Playbar is excellent but I promise you will not be happy with the low end. It’s impressive for its size but it in now way gives the effect you might be hoping for. What is truly impressive is the Play 5s!! I have played around with grouping the rooms together and turning the Playbar,1s and sub to “mute” and then just used the Play 5s for sound. I watched avengers and when Hulk came on I had to check my settings because I thought I left the sub on. Vibrations could be felt in the room through the floors and walls. Long story short get a pair of Play 5s and group them with the Playbar as a different room. I think you would be happy
Well I’ve tested a pair of Play 3’s and a single Play 5 and was so impressed with the Play 5 that I’m now contemplating a Play 5 and a $200 soundbar instead of a single playbase (keeping total budget at $700). Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For 1 room I'd be tempted to get a pair of Play 1s and set them as surrounds. Then set to "Full" in the advanced settings for that room to have the best music reproduction.

When you have some more money you can add a Sub to the Playbar and surrounds
For 1 room I'd be tempted to get a pair of Play 1s and set them as surrounds. Then set to "Full" in the advanced settings for that room to have the best music reproduction.

When you have some more money you can add a Sub to the Playbar and surrounds

Sorry, I meant I’m gong a different direction and $700 is my max for either a playbase OR Play 5 with separate $200 soundbar from another manufacturer
Userlevel 7
Sorry, I meant I’m gong a different direction and $700 is my max for either a playbase OR Play 5 with separate $200 soundbar from another manufacturer

Without knowing the layout of the room as mentioned by Keith N...Stuart_W gave the best suggestion. However, if you are going to buy a sound bar from another manufacturer then you don't need a Playbar nor Playbase. Although the Playbar and Playbase can play music that is not their intended purpose as stand-a-lone units.

If as you said in your original post you want to use the room for the occasional party and have bass (low end) then you may have to expand your budget. Your options for music with bass are limited given your budget ($700) for the size room you want to fill.

The Sonos One, Play 1 and Play 3 even in stereo pairs are not going to produce enough low end for party effects in a 25 x 25 room at beyond six feet from origin (or maybe even less). A single Play 5 will produce balanced low/mids/highs but still may not be enough for party effects in a 25 x 25 room. Of course you can always turn your music up to max volume to give the illusion of more low end but that's exactly what it will be_loud noise with a simulated low end. The only way to achieve the low end you are hoping for is with:

Sonos One x 2 _stereo pair with Sub
Play 1 x 2 _stereo pair with Sub
Play 3 x 2_stereo pair with Sub
Play 5 x 2_ stereo pair (sub optional)

Also understand that the recommendations do not account for room furnishings that can negatively impact sound reproduction. That said another reason for a sub is that the low frequencies it produces are not directional and less prone to absorption. That is why low end frequencies can be felt through walls.

Full disclosure...everything I've suggested is supposition. You need to try an option of your choice that fits your budget in the actual room. Sonos direct offers 45 days return and most retailers allow at least 15 days. Good luck and Cheers!
that is not their intended purpose as stand-a-lone units[/u].

. The only way to achieve the low end you are hoping for is with:

Sonos One x 2 _stereo pair with Sub
Play 1 x 2 _stereo pair with Sub
Play 3 x 2_stereo pair with Sub
Play 5 x 2_ stereo pair (sub optional)

Thanks much for the reply. This is the first that I’m hearing that a Playbase is not meant to be standalone? Really?

Also, if I do increase my budget, why not a Playbase and Play 5?
Userlevel 7
[quote=sonorbi]Thanks much for the reply. This is the first that I’m hearing that a Playbase is not meant to be standalone? Really? Also, if I do increase my budget, why not a Playbase and Play 5?[/quote]

To be clear I mean that one doesn't typically shop for a Playbar or Playbase for the sole purpose of music playback. Click the Sonos link and then click SHOP and you'll see the intended purpose for each Sonos product: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/play1.html

I'm still not sure how you intend to use the Playbase. If you intend to use it with your TV (optical line-in) then OK. You can still purchase the Play 5. Although the Playbase and Play 5 will be in the same room you should name them differently so that each can act independently. When you want to play music through both you'll just group them together. I'd venture to say that a Play 5 and Playbase playing the same music simultaneously will give you good low-end. Here again placement of the Play 5 in juxtaposition to the Playbase will be crucial.

You should also familiarize yourself with the Sonos App, setting up Sonos via WiFi Direct vs Boost Setup and terms such as bonding vs grouping. Cheers!
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I've built up a collection of 3 play 1's and a Playbase. The Playbase was added a week or so ago and is in a room approximately 5 meters by 4 with large openings on either side. It's very capable for music playback and fills the space when you start to push the volume up. Two play 1's are in stereo in a room 4x3 with a single window and door with good stereo seperation. They are also very capable for music playback. The Playbase has a bit more fidelity and the play 1's are a bit warmer. Either would do me for music playback.

The Playbase is great when you feed a dramatic 5.1 signal to it. That's when I start to notice the sub in it.

It depends on your priorities I guess. A Playbase will be more versatile but you could start with two Play 1's in stereo and add a third somewhere else if you need to fill the space more. On the other hand a Playbase gives TV viewing a real boost if you can feed it a 5.1 signal and still gives you great music playback.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I should mention that the dining room off the lounge room is used as a second lounge room and with the Playbase up a bit it doesn't need a speaker. The third play 1 is in the kitchen and casual dining area.
[quote=AjTrek1]Thanks much for the reply. This is the first that I’m hearing that a Playbase is not meant to be standalone? Really? Also, if I do increase my budget, why not a Playbase and Play 5?[/quote]

To be clear I mean that one doesn't typically shop for a Playbar or Playbase for the sole purpose of music playback. Click the Sonos link and then click SHOP and you'll see the intended purpose for each Sonos product: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/play1.html

I'm still not sure how you intend to use the Playbase. If you intend to use it with your TV (optical line-in) then OK. You can still purchase the Play 5. Although the Playbase and Play 5 will be in the same room you should name them differently so that each can act independently. When you want to play music through both you'll just group them together. I'd venture to say that a Play 5 and Playbase playing the same music simultaneously will give you good low-end. Here again placement of the Play 5 in juxtaposition to the Playbase will be crucial.

You should also familiarize yourself with the Sonos App, setting up Sonos via WiFi Direct vs Boost Setup and terms such as bonding vs grouping. Cheers!

My requirement is low end for music first, thus the Play 5. The other is something for TV, like a Vizio soundbar for $200. I’m debating whether this setup is better than the equivalent Playbase, as the total costs are the same. I think with playbase alone, even though I probably get better tv audio, I’d lose on the low end as compared to Play 5. If budget was $1200 instead of $700, then a different story.
Userlevel 7
My requirement is low end for music first, thus the Play 5. The other is something for TV, like a Vizio soundbar for $200. I’m debating whether this setup is better than the equivalent Playbase, as the total costs are the same. I think with playbase alone, even though I probably get better tv audio, I’d lose on the low end as compared to Play 5. If budget was $1200 instead of $700, then a different story.

Not tryimg to push you...but Stuart_W gave you the best suggestion: Playbar or Playbase (although I prefer the Playbar) and Play:1 x 2 for surround. You''ll get decent low-end for music with the Playbar and the surrounds in full mode. In fact the Play:1's have good accoustic low-end (not wall rumbling) but balanced. Later on add a sub to get full 5.1 sound for movies and great low-end for movies and music (that is wall rumbling) 🆒

Cheers!
You''ll get decent low-end for music with the Playbar and the surrounds in full mode. In fact the Play:1's have good accoustic low-end (not wall rumbling) but balanced.

I agree; this should be the first thing to try at home to see how it works before deciding to not return the kit for a refund.
Could the low end of a playbase/playbar and 2 Play 1’s really mimic or get close to a Play 5?

Anyway, budget going from $499 to $997 is practically double. That’s like 2 Play 5’s.
If all you want is music in a single space, there are cheaper non Sonos options. Get a stereo amp and a pair of HiFi speaker towers at the budget end. If you have access to used kit, you can get excellent value. Wire the TV audio to the amp. Wire a Chromecast Audio dongle to the stereo amp for streamed music from the net. Job done for less that USD 400 with used kit and even with new, USD 500 should cover it.
Userlevel 7
Could the low end of a playbase/playbar and 2 Play 1’s really mimic or get close to a Play 5?

The short answer is "Yes". I still prefer the playbar :8
However, you need to listen for yourself and then decide. You can always take the route Kumar suggested?

Good Luck!