1 play:5 or 1 play one and a sub?

• 9 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I bought a sonos one speaker last week and was blown away by the quality. I wanted to expand my collection. I am still a student, so i can't buy all speakers i want at the same time. i am doubting between buying a sub and buying a play:5.

the play:5 would replace the play one. the sub would be added to the play one and I might add another one later on.
buying a sub (and an one) is far more expensive though. The bass on the play one is just too little for some songs, i heard great things about the base of a play:5 eventhough the sub would be deeper.

so my question: is it worth investing in the sub (and later on a one), or will a single play:5 (gen 2) be more than enough?

(I will mainly use it to listen to music)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Flip a coin?

No seriously, since bass and budget are your biggest factors, I'd probably get the play:5 directly from Sonos. You have a 45 day return policy, so you can decide for yourself whether it meets your needs or not. If so, keep it. If not, return it and go with the sub.

I don't own a play:5 myself, but I've heard the same as you, that does pretty well on the bass without adding a sub. In fact, some say the sub is kind of wasted with play:5s. It is a good match with Sonos Ones though.

Personally, I probably would get a second sonos one first, as I like stereo separation, but we all have different priorities.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd lean to two Play 1s or Sonos Ones (more features) and a Sub versus a Play 5. I love my 5s but the stereo separation from a pair of the little Sonos speakers is much better to my ears than the single point stereo that 5 provides.