Question

connecting pre-amp and turntable to port ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

hi guys , i am trying to connect up my turntable to a pre-amp and then onto my Sonos Port but not being Tec savvy i am cautious connecting improperly for the wrong results so any help appreciated , thank you

18 replies

Perhaps see these links:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/listen-to-your-turntable-on-sonos

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/blog/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Ken  ,  i appreciate the link but i am unsure of what plugs to what  eg  IN/OUT  etc etc

again NOT savvy and afraid to connect someting incorrectly here 

i obviously have 2 phono out that have to connect to the Pre-Amp but what to were after that i am confused….. :(

I have a Pro-Ject Essential turntable connected to a pre-amp and then to a Sonos Connect. The  built in preamp stopped working on the turntable. The RCA cables are just output to input on the three devices, so is your question concerning settings on the preamp? A word of caution, currently my setup does not work as the latest Sonos App “upgrade” has broken the link between the Connect and my Sonos speakers. The latest app releases have been breaking, fixing and then breaking this connection. I don’t know if this also impacts the Sonos Port, but don’t go crazy if your setup doesn’t initially work.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a Pro-Ject Essential turntable connected to a pre-amp and then to a Sonos Connect. The  built in preamp stopped working on the turntable. The RCA cables are just output to input on the three devices, so is your question concerning settings on the preamp? A word of caution, currently my setup does not work as the latest Sonos App “upgrade” has broken the link between the Connect and my Sonos speakers. The latest app releases have been breaking, fixing and then breaking this connection. I don’t know if this also impacts the Sonos Port, but don’t go crazy if your setup doesn’t initially work.

Hi JFF  ….. not concerned about settings but rather what plugs into what and were so as i am connecting the turntable correctly to the pre-amp and the pre amp to the Sonos Port  and into the correct Phono connections...again i am NOT Tec savvy …. lol

RCA outputs on Turntable to RCA inputs on Pre-amp.  RCA outputs on pre-amp to RCA Line-In on Port.  All RCA connections are red to red and black to black. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

RCA outputs on Turntable to RCA inputs on Pre-amp.  RCA outputs on pre-amp to RCA Line-In on Port.  All RCA connections are red to red and black to black. 

thank you jgatie for that , i will do this and report back to you ….. if you dont mind… :)

When all connected this is how it works. With everything powered up I go into the Sonos App and select my stereo speaker pair. I now see a source option called line-in, I select it and tap the play button in the line-in box. At first I was having drop outs and went into the app (in my case it’s in the settings for my Sonos Connect under Audio Delay) and increased the buffering until the drop outs disappeared. My setting currently is 150ms. Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

thank you jgatie for that , i will do this and report back to you ….. if you dont mind… :)

ok so all plugged in as instructed , selected Line-in on the App and i have no sound… any ideas what to try next ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

When all connected this is how it works. With everything powered up I go into the Sonos App and select my stereo speaker pair. I now see a source option called line-in, I select it and tap the play button in the line-in box. At first I was having drop outs and went into the app (in my case it’s in the settings for my Sonos Connect under Audio Delay) and increased the buffering until the drop outs disappeared. My setting currently is 150ms. Hope this helps.

i have everything plugged in as instructed by jgatie from above post and i have no sound , it has to be something simple surely ?

i have everything plugged in as instructed by jgatie from above post and i have no sound , it has to be something simple surely ?

You need to choose Line-In as a source, or go into the setup for the Port and set Autoplay to On and choose the room to Autoplay to.

See these links for details:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/adjust-line-in-settings

This one for troubleshooting:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/no-audio-from-a-line-in-device-connected-to-sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge

ok….so i went into the Sonos App and selected the ‘Line-In’ but i cannot find anyplace in the App to set Autoplay to On , i know it is quite difficult to diagnose what is going on but going into the links to explain the steps to get the setting that clearly not there is very frustrating…..i wonder if the Pre-Amp is something not compatible with everything ,

it is a ‘FiiO K5pro’ 

First let’s see of your wiring is correct and we can get some sound.  Scroll up on the room at the bottom to get the Rooms list.  Tap the room you wish the turntable to play in.  Scroll up on the sources/Favorites/etc. which are above the room.  At the bottom will be “My Sources”.  Choose the Line-In.  Play a record, it should play in the room you picked at the bottom.  Make a sure the volume in the room is turned up, and the pre-amp is powered (it it needs power).  

Userlevel 2
Badge

all correct and powered on , np sound….i also know it is fine because i can still disconnect everything and just connect up the 2 red/white leads to my Denon CD Player and it works fine…., 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the preamp turned on?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Is the preamp turned on?

yes , powered up and plugged in as directed  ’jgatie’   from a post above …. 

I haven’t found definitive information on your “preamp”, but I think that it is a headphone amplifier. If I’m correct, this is inappropriate. You need a phono preamplifier. There will probably be a note about “RIAA Equalization”.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I haven’t found definitive information on your “preamp”, but I think that it is a headphone amplifier. If I’m correct, this is inappropriate. You need a phono preamplifier. There will probably be a note about “RIAA Equalization”.

Thank you buzz , i think you are correct on the preamp , so will purchase something this week and have another go then report back….thank  :)