Answered

Sonos Boost doesn't work with wifi rooter/ causes wife extenders to reset after a few months.

• 10 March 2021
  • 3 replies

HI, I have several speakers + Sonos Boost, and my home wifi consists of 1 router and 3 BT wifi extender discs. If I plug the Boost into the main rooter the speakers furthest away from the Boost drop out too regularly to make this viable. If I plug the Boost into one of the Wifi extender discs then the system works fine for about 3 months but, after this, then the extender with the Boost plugged into it starts to need resetting before Sonos works.  At first, this happens quite infrequently but eventually it starts to happen every few minutes until I move the Boost to another disc. I’ve now run out of dics! I’ve tried both BT’s and Sono’s technical support without success. Can anyone recommend a fix which either would allow me to run the Boost through my main router (with all the speakers working) or stops the Boost resetting the Wifi discs? Many thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 March 2021, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi.  The Boost cannot possibly ‘reset the Wifi discs’.  Whatever is going on, it isn’t that.  What wireless channel is the BT system using and what channel is Sonos using please?

Thanks for replying , the BT system 2.4ghz is on channel 1 and the 5ghz channel is 36. Sonos is on 6, but I’ve tried each of them. If I plug the boost into my main rooter (which is at one end of the house) then speakers at the other end drop out. If I plug it into one of the discs then it works fine for a bit, but then the disc with the boost plugged into it starts to reset. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JackRund 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system. They can check signal strengths between your speakers, WiFi interference levels and how each speaker connects.

When you have the Boost connected to your router, do you keep it 1m away from the router? If not, I recommend you try again, with them separated. Please keep both Boost and the router away from other possible sources of interference, like a cordless telephone base.