Answered

Sonos and verizon home internet

• 22 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Does anyone know if my Sonos system will connect to the new Verizon home internet service?

icon

Best answer by tracker 22 March 2022, 03:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Not sure why it wouldn’t. Is there something different about Verizon’s internet?

The Sonos system (network) requirements are detailed in this link below:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

If by “the new Verizon home internet service” you mean Verizon FiOS and their supplied residential gateway/router incl. Wi-Fi & CATV connector, the answer is simply “yes”, and see below.  If you mean their 5G Home fixed-wireless service, now named “5G Ultra Wideband”, I have no personal experience, but I would disable the device’s “band steering” and then give different SSIDs to the 2.4 and 5GHz sides.  The device does have RJ45 jacks on the bottom, to hook up your first Sonos device.  Other than those general suggestions, if 5G UWB, ignore the rest of this post.  If FiOS, read on...

Only one bug of note about the Verizon Fios gateway firmware: As you know, Wi-Fi signal strength is a 2-way street -- it matters just as much what the access point can hear from your device as what your device can hear from the access point.  In Verizon’s case, if you are borderline, rather than saying you cannot connect, everything looks just fine but it spuriously claims you have entered the wrong password to access your network!  This is a bug, but occurs in cases where your laptop (for example) shows 3 out of 4 bars, yet you are far enough from the gateway that it can’t hear you very well.  You just have to use 2.4GHz rather than 5GHz, thus configure your gateway to give them different names so you know which you’re choosing.  Obviously this does not affect the Sonos mesh net, but might affect a Move which is Wi-Fi only.

Regardless, if you do the canonical Sonos installation described above (hardwire one Sonos unit to the gateway & choose a different channel (1/6/11) for SonosNet than for the gateway’s Wi-Fi) you should be fine -- including running your computers or iPads over 5GHz and seeing & controlling all the Sonos equipment on the 2.4GHz side.  That part works just fine, with none of the “can see my speakers but can’t play to them” kind of problems some people report for multiple access points or carrier-provided mesh networking gear.

(P.S. If you are getting 5G UWB, too bad about their Bang & Olufsen soundbar discount, because of course you’ll be using your Sonos Arc!:wink: )