Answered

no audio on non Atmos content w/ arc and apple tv

• 2 December 2021
  • 1 reply

I have the arc/sub setup with my new Samsung QN84 through the E-arc port. I have my Apple TV 4K plugged into HDMI port 1. If I watch any content on Netflix, Disney + that has Atmos audio, everything works perfectly fine and sounds incredible. However, if I then go to play a show that is not Atmos quality, “sometimes” the audio does not come through at all. “sometimes” it does play in Multichannel 5.1 as it should. It seems to be very buggy and inconsistent. I have tried multiple HDMI cables, all HDMI ports other than the E-arc where the Arc is connected, and the issue remains. The TV settings I have are HDMI-earc Mode on auto and Digital Output Audio Format to Pass-Through. 

If I turn Atmos off on the Apple TV and select 5.1, everything plays completely fine with zero issues. Unfortunately Apple support seems clueless on this, so hoping somebody here has seen this issue and has a recommendation that could prevent me from having to manually turn Atmos on when I want to watch certain content. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 December 2021, 15:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs are known to have issues with eARC and the Sonos Arc. I don’t think Samsung has ever fully addressed the problem.

Make sure your TV has the latest firmware installed and toggle the eARC setting to OFF and AUTO. You might also try redoing the TV Setup process in the Sonos app. Start by disconnecting everything from the TV and unplugging the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them back in but keep the Arc and Apple TV disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled on the TV and run TV Setup in the Sonos app. Connect the Arc to the TV using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable when the app instructs you to. When the Arc has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV and test again.