Skip to main content

why is the sonos 5 600$ trash?

• 4 July 2024
  • 5 replies

This speaker has given me nothing but trouble since day one. And it pisses me off because The issue I’m facing with it could be fixed by them having put in one of the most absolute bare minimum basic features for any wireless speaker. Which is Bluetooth. 
this thing refuses to remain connected to the Wi-Fi. It will connect, it will stay connected for a little while. And then after like a day or two it will disconnect from the Wi-Fi and refuse to reconnect unless the Wi-Fi router is completely rebooted. 
Would not be an issue at all. IF THIS 600$ WIRELESS SPEAKER HAD BLUETOOTH LIKE EVERY OTHER WIRELESS SPEAKER. Like they added a line in aux connection, which objectively has worst audio quality than Bluetooth due to the connection being prone to causing mild feedback hiss at louder volumes. But not Bluetooth??? AND EVEN THEN YOU CAN’T USE THE LINE IN CONNECTION, UNLESS IT’S CONNECTED TO WI-FI SO YOU CAN SWITCH IT OVER TO THE LINE IN CONNECTION. THIS THING IS COMPLETELY BRICKED AND USELESS WITHOUT INTERNET. Why??????
I’m lucky enough that I won this thing for free at a contest. I can’t imagine how Much more infuriating this would be for somebody who actually spent $600 on this thing.

this absolutely sucks because it has great sound quality. But you can’t experience that sound quality unless it’s connected to Wi-Fi. Which it repeatedly refuses to do. Who thought this was a good idea???? 

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

We’ve had a Sonos Five for a few years - it has been great until they recently broke the software.  I never expected Bluetooth since it was not an advertised feature.  You should be able to easily sell it and do OK since you got it free.  The used market is pretty decent.

SONOS make Bluetooth enabled speakers that are designed for portability. They may suit you better...if they ever fix their software.

We’ve had a Sonos Five for a few years - it has been great until they recently broke the software.  I never expected Bluetooth since it was not an advertised feature.  You should be able to easily sell it and do OK since you got it free.  The used market is pretty decent.

SONOS make Bluetooth enabled speakers that are designed for portability. They may suit you better...if they ever fix their software.

The problem isn’t expectations or experience or anything like that. It’s that at its price tag. This thing is trash. It has excellent sound quality but it doesn’t have any of the features that comes standard with other speakers at the same price point. They even try to call it a home theaters system. But it doesn’t have any of the input necessary to connect to a Home theater. It only has Wi-Fi no digital optical input, no HDMI input not even a usb-c connection. It has line in but again the sound quality is going to suffer if you use that.

just over all this thing is a rip off. 

I own a Dolby digital sound system at home that provides superior sound quality, has Bluetooth, digital, and hdmi connectivity. And it only cost me 150$ (on sale) my point is for $600 this thing is absolutely trash compared to other similar options.

Cody I think you should buy a second 5. They sound real good as a pair. 

Im good. For that much money I could buy a vastly superior surround sound system

Im good. For that much money I could buy a vastly superior surround sound system

What are you going to get?