Answered

Weekend away with Era 300 in bluetooth mode / router

• 28 February 2024
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hello. Looking for some advice regarding travelling with Sonos speakers and adjusting network settings versus just getting a Move with the current 30% discount.

I'm planning a long weekend away with a big group of 20+ to a rural cottage in the UK.

I thought I could take a pair of Era 300s with me and play music with bluetooth connected to my phone - Plex and access to my library / playlists on my NAS at home.

I've never used the Era's bluetooth before or taken the speakers outside of my network - I thought you just needed to set up speakers initially on your home network before using bluetooth. I hoped the Eras would work as 'dumb' bluetooth speakers when used outside of your home network, like the Roam does. But reading into this I'm not sure if this is the case.

Is it possible to use Era 300 in bluetooth 'offline' or away from your network? Could they be stereo-paired?

If not, I was thinking of buying a cheap travel router and using the same network SSID I have at home. I would then plug this into the internet router at the cottage. Do the speakers then think they're on my home network and work as normal? Does anyone have experience of moving to-and-fro with their speakers to different locations?

I'm tempted by a Move 2 with the discount which would make things simpler, but not sure I would use it very often day-to-day over the Roam (which I like to chuck in a backpack and take to work). I have too many speakers at home as it is! I would probably only use the Move occasionally for big social gatherings on trips away. But a travel router for £30 and occasionally bringing the Play:5 Gen 2's or Era 300s would be ideal if it works. Does it work?!

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 28 February 2024, 14:24

View original

1 reply

Regarding bluetooth, none of the Sonos products can operate as stereo pair without a wifi network. Will an Era 300 work offline without a wifi network?  They should be able to, but you can test this pretty easily.   connect your phone to the Era 300 via bluetooth (not the Sonos app), turn off phone’s wifi, and then temporarily power down your router.  If you can still use the Era 300, then you have your answer.

Regarding a travel router, that plan will work, but I would not go with that option for your situation. Wifi is notorious for poor performance when you have 20+ bodies in the room interfering with the signal.  You could get there, setup in the empty room and think you’re all set, only to have frequent drop outs when  all the people show.  There are people who posted that their wedding reception was ruined for this reason.

One last bit...if you have an android phone, you can connect to 2 different speakers at the same time,  It’s not a stereo pair, but 2 speakers playing mono.  Since you already have a Roam, maybe buying a 2nd Roam is an option to?